opinion on procedure

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim P

Reaction score
Need an opinion on this procedure:
On <?:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:date Month="1" Day="22" Year="2011">1/22/11</st1:date> , I stabilized a 5gal. batch of Loganberry wine , by first racking from secondary ,then I added 5 crushed campdens , stirred to degass , and after 30 minutes , added 2.5tsp of sorbate , stirred and degassed again , and after degassing , sweetened to taste , and is now topped up with airlock and bulk aging.
Wine looks clear and ready to bottle after about 5 weeks , but if I wait another 4-5 weeks before I bottle , would I have to add any more crushed campdens.Also if I decide to sweeten more at this time , would I have to add more sorbate

You would have to test the SO2 to confirm, but I don't think any more campden tablets are necessary. No more sorbate is needed, but if you need to sweeten more I would hold off on bottling for at least a week to make sure the wine does not start fermenting. It shouldn't start again but you never know and cleaning up after it blows the cork isn't much fun.

Thanks for your quick response.
Just wanted to be sure about this procedure , because some articles say to add K-meta and degass , then wait a week before adding sorbate , and then sweeten right before bottling.

Another question I have , is when do you test the acidity. Do you test the juice before adding sugar to obtain a SG of 1.090 , or do you test it after adding the sugar, and before the start of fermentation.

I test mine and adjust as needed right before I pitch the yeast.

Latest posts

Back