Only in Texas..............

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guys... I have been in TX all of my life... I'm from a small town in west TX(Crane 3000 people)... I went to hight school in the 70's... with a shotgun and rifle in the gun rack in the pickup window... AND you did not lock it... you didn't have to!!!!

Man do I miss that!!!!!!

Darryl, I know what you mean. We live out in the country. Our nearest neighbor is a half mile away. A couple of years ago, the wife and I were in Dallas looking a new cars. Every one that we looked at had a factory alarm system already installed on it. When I explained to the sales guy that I didn't need all of that, he asked why I wouldn't want it. I explained that I didn't want to pay for something I didn't need. I explained to him that where I lived, everyone has a Remington alarm system. If you get caught stealing, someone may use their Remington on you! It is called Remington Rehab, works every time
smiley36.gif

nursejohn said:
Darryl, I know what you mean. We live out in the country. Our nearest neighbor is a half mile away. A couple of years ago, the wife and I were in Dallas looking a new cars. Every one that we looked at had a factory alarm system already installed on it. When I explained to the sales guy that I didn't need all of that, he asked why I wouldn't want it. I explained that I didn't want to pay for something I didn't need. I explained to him that where I lived, everyone has a Remington alarm system. If you get caught stealing, someone may use their Remington on you! It is called Remington Rehab, works every time
smiley36.gif

I'm with ya!!!!! I have a beware of Colt sign in my back yard...

I live in Dallas now, but grew up in small-town Kansas. We never locked the house or car, and usually left the keys in the car. Some changes in society have been for the better, but that aspect of life isn't one of them. My neighbor, Mrs Smith, has a German shepherd named Wesson. We joke about her house being guarded by Smith & Wesson.

That place is called Double Shot. I've been there before. Last time I went to San Antonio my Brother in Law (a Texan) took me there. They had not been open long and didn't have a huge selection of anything. Speaking of drive through's, I am trying to remember which town in Texas that had a true drive through meaning you drove your vehicle through the store and the clerk walked around and picked up your stuff and brought it to your car window. It was like a barn that you just drove into. I can't remember if it was around Houston or up between Houston and Dallas where my Wife's aunt lives. This was like 10 years ago we went through this place.

I lived in Houston from 1981 to 1986 before heading up to the high country. I remember that place like it was yesterday. I found a snap of it just now. Looks like it is called the "Beverage Barn". There is probably a number of them around still.......
smiley29.gif

20100401_093419_2057572283_c532.jpg

ibglowin said:
I lived in Houston from 1981 to 1986 before heading up to the high country. I remember that place like it was yesterday. I found a snap of it just now. Looks like it is called the "Beverage Barn". There is probably a number of them around still.......
smiley29.gif

20100401_093419_2057572283_c532.jpg

That's it! Looked just like that. You say they are/were a chain?

I was raised in Texas, but haven't lived there for many years. I really do miss it. I am sure some of you don't understand why I would say that, but it really is a special place (IMO).

As an adult, for awhile I lived in both Houston and Dallas... give me Dallas!!!

Dallas is the best!

I have seen many come and go, so I don't rmember where one is right now, but there are a number of "Beer Barns" around Dallas/Fort Worth. Most of those shops are essentially a drive-thru convenience store - I have seen folks get two twelve-packs, a gallon of milk, and some candy handed to them as I waited at the stop light at the corner.

You to Rich?

I was born and raised in San Antonio. Still have lots of family there. Nice place to visit but me and humidity just don't get along and haven't since I was a youngster........

It's a nice place to visit (but I sure) don't want to live there anymore!
smiley36.gif

DancerMan said:
I was raised in Texas, but haven't lived there for many years. 

I was raised in the panhandle - Amarillo. I would not want to move back there, but I could sure live in Big D. (Could it have anything to do with the fact that my daughter, her husband, and my gorgeous, 3-year old grand daughter live there?
smiley32.gif
)

Family aside, there is just something special about Texas and about Dallas. Everything there just seems to be "going places"; moving forward... I can't put my finger on it exactly.

Latest posts

Back