One 5 gal carboy, 6 gal kit....

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrianD

Reaction score
I've made a few batches of beer and am on my first wine kit. Winexpert Selection Premium Pinot Noir.

Coming from a beer background, I only have a 5 gallon carboy at this point. When I did my first racking of the kit, I racked into the 5 gallon carbon and a 1 gallon jug. Due to some siphoning issues, I'm down about 1/2 gallon, maybe more, from 6 gallons at this point.

Now I'm at the stage where I am to remove 2 cups from the carboy to make head space. No need to do that, as I left more than that out of the carboy already. Then I am to:

1. Add the F-pack bag and stir thoroughly for 30 seconds.

2. Add the clarifier and THEN degass.

I had planned to rack both carboy and jug into my primary before adding these items, and then rack back into the carboy and jug, topping off each. My question is, should I (can I?) do the stirring and degass stirring in the primary bucket? If not, how best might I do this step of adding ingredients and degassing?

I can run to the FVW and buy a 6 gallon carboy if I absolutely have to, but I'd rather not at this point.

Brian

Edited by: BrianD

I've got that pinot bulk-aging in a carboy right now, and had the same kit previously and it is great one.

Without going into all the issues you've raised, I guess at some point you're going to need a 6 gallon carboy.A 6 gallon carboy sure makes it easier through the rest of the processand you avoid all that handling of must in the different containers... and that handling can only introduce the opportunity for exposure to oxygen...

Me, if FVW was within "running" distance I'd look for every opportunity to go down and see George!
smiley36.gif

edit: Oh, forgot! WELCOME ABOARD!Edited by: OilnH2O

In short yeah you can but as mentioned before you are risking more exposure to oxygen. Also with the use of your primary you risk falling "material" in the air to be introduced into your fine wine. Plus increased sanitation duties and repeated sanitization......

I second the above opinion that if FVW is so close invest in a 6 gal carboy. And stopper , and, and, and,....(the toys selection seems endless). I too started with beer making but have gotten the "wine making" bug real bad. Once you get to have a real taste of your aged wine you will be struck too.

The kit you are doing is a good one. Treat it like it deserves to be treated. Plus this is your first kit and I am sure you want the best result possible.

Welcome to the forum!!!!

Using the bucket is a pain, but is probably the best solution with the equipment you have. Just don't take any more time than necessary to add the stabilizers and fining agents. Then put your wine back in the carboy.

As an aside, do you really have an F-Pack for that kit?

Brian D.... take the plunge if you can afford too and get the 6 gal carboy.....if you are like most you'll enjoy the wine making process and be hooked...at that point you'll be looking to get a second then third carboy...

I've only been at this since January andI just bought my 3rd carboy.

Welcome Aboard

I am of the same opionion as Michael. Started making wine in November and now Am wondering how to make it by with only 4 carboys, lol

Thanks, everyone, for the advice and encouragement. And George, thanks for your questioning the F-pack and making me re-read the instructions, along with the advice to date. No F-Pack.

I believe that I'll be getting the 6 gallon carboy. I really want this first experience to end up with something my wife and I will enjoy. That'll also help free up the 1 gallon jug, as I already have all the ingredients and a 2nd jug to begin a Welch's concentrate recipe.
smiley1.gif

Brian

Welcome Brian, Definetely get the carboy and I prefer glass myself.

Welcome to the forum Brain. I would take the plung and buy another carboy........ ya know your gonna do it sooner or later, mights well make life easy on yourself now.

You live near the store? Luckey Dog!

I live just a short motor scooter ride away. But I'll probably have to drive this time.

I have to draw the line somewhere to maintain my sense of frugalness. No degassing whip until my third batch. The web lifting strap thing comes next batch.

Again, thanks everyone.

Brian

Oh, I would get the drill stirrer or your not going to be happy with
degassing or possibly your wine if not degassed and bottled.

Back