Mosti Mondiale Oh yeah!!!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm about to transfer my Barolo to another carboy today. When I transferred it the first time from my primary fermenter to a carboy I couldn't fit all of it in the carboy and lost about a cup and a half or so. Wen I transfer this time if I don't get the carboy full do I have to top up or could I spray some Private Preserve in the carboy after I transfer to prevent oxidation? Or should I do the same thing I did with my Meglioli Riesling and transfer to a 5 gallon carboy?

Well, I couldn't wait for April. I opened the Barolo last night and I was shocked at how awesome it tastes!!!!I am amazed at how great things taste when you follow directions!!!hahahahaha

Joan: Love peanuts from George!
BJ: Is your wine finished fermenting? If so, top up with Barolo if you have it. If not, then rack to a 5 gallon carboy and a bottle.
uavwmn: Tasting notes?
smiley1.gif

Am I reading the directions correctly?

I left the must in the primary when I added the yeast nutrient to avoid the volcano.

Phase 2: Days 9-14 verify the SG is 0.996 and rack off the lees [AND the oak? ] The oak has only been in it about a week. That doesn't seem like a very long time but I don't want to over-oak it. Any thoughts/suggestions?

Are they Oak chips (more than likely) or cubes?

Chips extract faster than cubes so they are done by the end of secondary Day 22 aprox. I always transfer pretty much everything to secondary (including chips) at around 1.0 and then let it sit for ~ 12 days to let it go to 0.996 or dry. That gives the wine enough time to finish all the oak extraction.

At that point, rack off the oak and lees and stabilize, fine, degas......

Something I forgot to put in my original post was when I checked the SG on my Baroloafter 7 days in the secondary it was at 0.998. I left it for two more days and checked again and it was still at 0.998. I racked to another carboy anyways and added the k-meta and the clarifiers. I was hoping 0.998 for three days would still be ok. I'm just not sure why it didn't get down to 0.996. I always have the temperature at 72 degrees and the only thing I can think is that I wasn't able to transfer the last cup and a half of wine form the primary. Will it still be ok even though it didn't get all the way down to 0.996?

Absolutely.

998 is perfectly fine. Don't forget to add the Sorbate just before bottling if you haven't already.

The oak is in chip form and there is a lot of it...2 bags. My concern is that I will be away for 9 days and don't want to over oak it. I'm thinking of racking it tomorrow morning be for I leave and get it off the oak. Yes? No?

You can't over oak a kit if you add only what came with the kit. Its been designed and tested to be true to the varietal with what comes in the box. I would leave the oak in until you get back.

Don't hurry the wine!

Latest posts

Back