Off smell in my already fermented wine.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

koolaide187

Reaction score
I have some wine it's right around 12% alcohol. Already fermented. I was letting it sit in the glass carboy so all the sediment and stuff could fall to the bottom and it could age and stuff. Well when it first finished fermenting it smelled like wine. Now after it's been sitting there for about 2 weeks it's lost the wine smell and smells off now. I can't describe it. It's more of a musty smelling wine. I still have the air lock on it. My question is. What am I smelling and how do I get rid of it? I haven't added any sorbate to it yet. I was gonna do that the day before I filter and bottle it. I was told not to let any oxygen get to it after it's done fermenting but I guess I have some how. Anyways... any help is appreciated thanks. Oh I just remembered. Right after it was done fermenting I did add some K-Meta. I didn't use much maybe I should add more? Maybe rack it 1 last time? Anyways thanks again.

I always rack to secondary, then rack again within a fews after the first layer of sediment forms. Leaving it on these gross lees can lead to off odors and H2S.

I would rack right away with a full dose of k-meta.

Is it still on the gross lees from fermentation? I always rack mine off the gross lees before it hits SG 1.000.

I agree with Bob and Jet.

Rack off the gross lees now. Add a full dosage of k-meta in and let it sit. Check it in about 1-2 months.

Always get it off the lees within a week or two of finishing fermentation. Sulfite it at that point and then let it sit longer to clear and settle out the fine solids. Do that and the smell will get much better. Keep the carboy topped up to the neck and under airlock like you have done.

++++All good advice above. In addition, be sure that the stopper and the neck of the carboy are dry when you install the airlock. I use a paper towel to dry them. Also, I have found that a 6 1/2 stopper works best for my carboys.

Same Questions For My Sangiovese

This thread caught my eye before I started a separate one.

I started 6 gallons of Sangiovese juice on 9 Oct 2011.
Initial S.G. = 1.080, Lalvin yeast slurry added, fermentation started about 4 hours later.

Took S.G. reading on 22 Oct, = .990, with a pH of ~ 3.4 (test strip)

Should I rack this once for a week before racking again for bulk aging of 3 more months? Or, because the S.G. is at the target of .990, can I rack it into the carboy for bulk aging now?

If I can do it now, can I add the Potassium Sorbate, sugar and bisulfites for the aging?

Thanks,

Bob

Bob, you can rack if primary is done. But I'm confused on the sorbate and sugar addition. Sangio should be dry. All you should need are sulfites. 1.3g of KMeta will give you 30ppm. but I would stick with something closer to 1 gram given your PH.
Steve

Last edited:
Bob, you can rack if primary is done. But I'm confused on the sorbate and sugar addition. Sangio should be dry. All you should need are sulfites. 1.3g of KMeta will give you 30ppm. but I would stick with something closer to 1 gram given your PH.
Steve

Thanks, Steve. Yeah, I know it should be dry but thought of making a medium dry batch with just a hint of sweetness. But, on second thought, will leave it as is.

Is that 1 gm of KMeta per the 6 gallon batch? After that, I should be able to bulk age in the carboy for a couple of months?

Also, the sorbate is supposed to be added with the KMeta for stabilization, according to the KMeta container. Is that not needed?

Cheers!
Bob

Last edited:
I racked it off the gross lees right after somebody told me to on here. It has been about 2 or 3 weeks and I still haven't noticed much of a change in the smell. It smells just musty almost like a mildew or something. I tasted it just a bit and it tastes fine but the smell is just off putting.

I racked it off the gross lees right after somebody told me to on here. It has been about 2 or 3 weeks and I still haven't noticed much of a change in the smell. It smells just musty almost like a mildew or something. I tasted it just a bit and it tastes fine but the smell is just off putting.

Try giving it a splash-racking. That may help.

As long as you have added the stabilizer (Kmeta) when you were supposed to, it should be fine.
If it taste good, the aroma will eventually come around, too. Wine goes through many ups and down before it is ready. Sometimes it even will take a step backwards. You just have to wait it out.

Like JohnT wrote, splash rack it next time and see if that improves the aroma.

Thanks, Steve. Yeah, I know it should be dry but thought of making a medium dry batch with just a hint of sweetness. But, on second thought, will leave it as is.

Is that 1 gm of KMeta per the 6 gallon batch? After that, I should be able to bulk age in the carboy for a couple of months?

Also, the sorbate is supposed to be added with the KMeta for stabilization, according to the KMeta container. Is that not needed?

Cheers!
Bob

Bob,
Sorry I missed your last post. You hav probably taken care of this by now, but yes, that dose would be for 6 gallons, and yes it would good to age for a few months after that.
You do not need the sorbate if you want the wine to go dry.
Sorry for the late responce.
Steve

Latest posts

Back