Oak Cubes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flame145

Reaction score
I have about 8 oz of American medium oak cubes in a 53 gallon neutral barrel. The cubes have been in for about 1 month. I was going to remove at the 3 month mark. Does anyone know how long it actually takes for the oak cubes to give up their flavor ?

8 ounces is not nearly enough. If you are looking for a good oak flavor, I would consider swapping out your 8 ounces and then adding in fresh 16oz (another pound - minimum!) for several months.

A good kit red wine will usually come with 3oz of cubes for 6 gallons. That works out to ~26oz for 53 gallons.

JohnT said:
8 ounces is not nearly enough. If you are looking for a good oak flavor, I would consider swapping out your 8 ounces and then adding in fresh 16oz (another pound - minimum!) for several months.

Ya I realize that. The reason I asked the question was because the oak cubes are in a stainless steel cylinder that attaches to the bung. Once the cubes are fully extracted of the oakiness I want to replace with new ones.

Thanks for everyone input, I do appeciate it.

Back