Oak chips weren't sterilized:(

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

habanerojefe

Junior
Reaction score
I just transferred a 1 gallon batch of raspberry wine to the secondary fermenter, when I realized I added french oak chips in with the fruit when loading the bag. I did pour 7 pints of boiling water over it. But that's it. Can someone tell me what I should expect moving forward? Thanks a lot.

Jeff

PS. I did want to add, that the chips came from an unopened bag I bought from the store and they looked clean.

I just transferred a 1 gallon batch of raspberry wine to the secondary fermenter, when I realized I added french oak chips in with the fruit when loading the bag. I did pour 7 pints of boiling water over it. But that's it. Can someone tell me what I should expect moving forward? Thanks a lot.

Jeff

PS. I did want to add, that the chips came from an unopened bag I bought from the store and they looked clean.

Don't sweat it, have never sterilized oak before putting it in, especially since they were in a sealed package. Boiling water is more precautions than I take, although I know some other folks sterilize with KMS.

You have no problem. Have never done anything to oak chips or spirals other than put them in the carboys.

Back