Cellar Craft Oak blocks vs oak chips

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoCalGuy

Reaction score
I bought my first wine kit (cellar craft Pinot noir) and it does come with the oak chips. Because it is my first kit everyone tells me to just do it per the directions, understandable. I am planning on aging it for a year or two and because of that, I want to make it the best I can. Is it better to do the blocks or the shavings? My personal preference is I like a fruit fwd, velvet texture finish not real heavy tannin with that nice Oaky flavor. What are all of your thoughts on this or possibly any other suggestions?

One more thing I wanted to ask is, the crushed grapes. Do you think I should put them in the mesh bag or just put them into the mix on their own?

One more thing I wanted to ask is, the crushed grapes. Do you think I should put them in the mesh bag or just put them into the mix on their own?

For the first couple of kits I made, I couldn't figure out how to get the grape pack into the mesh bag, so I just threw it into the must. Boy, it was kind of a mess when it came time to rack the first time.

Eventually, I asked here how to fill the bag: http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/f5/how-do-you-fill-your-grape-pack-bag-40697/. I did the way these fine folks suggested, and it worked very well. I'll never go back to just putting them in the must.

Is it better to do the blocks or the shavings? My personal preference is I like a fruit fwd, velvet texture finish not real heavy tannin with that nice Oaky flavor. What are all of your thoughts on this or possibly any other suggestions?

I cannot really help you on the topic of oaking, as I have just followed kit directions thus far, but have you seen this sticky thread: http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/f74/oak-thread-12989/ ?

Very helpful. Thank you. Great idea for the grape skins. Once you read it, it sounds so obvious. Funny how the mind works. Or doesn't. Lol

if I'm choosing between block or shavings in my wines I choose the block just because it's easier to remove when I reach the taste I'm looking for.

Oak chips are better suited for use in fermentation or a quick oaking as they generally become extracted within days (5-7 days on average). Oak cubes (or beans as some call them) are only suited for oaking post-fermentation. The extraction time with cubes is on the order of weeks (at least 4-6 weeks if not more). Cubes tend to also be better quality oak and give a profile closer to what a barrel would do. I would use the oak chips that came with your kit as they were intended. They will not make the wine heavy or overly tannic, which wouldn't be suitable for a more delicate wine like a Pinot Noir anyway. The yeast will metabolize the harsher components of the oak during fermentation. If you did want more oak after the wine is fermented, you could always add cubes or staves and check on it regularly to reach the level of oak you want.

As for the grape skins, you will just end up with a mess if you add them directly to the must. They will still be extracted just fine in the mesh bag.

I agree with everything that Southern Chemist posted above.

I would add that putting the skins into bags will result in even better extraction if you take the time to squeeze the bag a couple of times a day. Be sure to wash and sanitize your hands first, then give the bag a thorough squeeze.

Latest posts

Back