Oak barrel

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Prince

Reaction score
I started my perp today. No leaks so far. Stand by for questions:)<div id="myWatcherDiv" style="display:none;">

My buddy Ken Duke is tied for 4th at Pebble Beach today! hoot hoot<div id="myWatcherDiv" style="display:none;">

12 hours and no sign of leaks. I have added water a couple times.<div id="myWatcherDiv" style="display:none;">

I just started the prep on my new 23L Vadai yesterday as well. I think this is the nicest looking of all 3 I have and the tightest looking staves.
I was prepared to wait 3 days for it to seal but last night by the time I went to bed not a single drop of water could be seen anywhere on the outside.
smiley20.gif

I did it a bit different than the instructions. I boiled water and placed it on the the head for 30 minutes and covered it with a cutting board to keep the water warm.The same on the other head.
Then 3/4 gallon of boiling water on the inside of the barrel while it was standing on it's end for 20 minutes.I sloshed the water around occasionally to wet all the slaves.<div id="myWatcherDiv" style="display:none;">
Drained the water and repeated inside the other end for 20 minutes. Occasionally sloshing the water around the staves.
Drained the water and added 3/4 of a gallon inside the barrel with a silicon bung and rotated the barrel for 2 hours.
Drained the water and filled the barrel up with hot tap water.

<div id="myWatcherDiv" style="display:none;">

Questions.If the is no leakage after two days can I put wine in the barrel? I need to go out of town for a couple days.<div id="myWatcherDiv" style="display:none;">
Should I add 1/4 tsp of Potassium Metabisulphite in the wine?
The red wine I want to use is the barrel has been bulk aging in a carboy for 6 months. Is that okay to use it?
How long in the new barrel?
After the barrel can I rack back into the carboy for more bulk aging?

John Prince said:
Questions.If the is no leakage after two days can I put wine in the barrel? I need to go out of town for a couple days.<div id="myWatcherDiv" style="display:none;">
Yes, I would fill it with wine before you head out of town.</font>
Should I add 1/4 tsp of Potassium Metabisulphite in the wine?
That would depend on how long it has been since you late added a top up dose. I would not add it unless it was time. You will need to add a top up dose when it comes out of the barrel as the barrel will lower the sulfite levels drastically. </font>
The red wine I want to use is the barrel has been bulk aging in a carboy for 6 months. Is that okay to use it?
Absolutely!</font>
How long in the new barrel?
2- 4 weeks max for the first batch. Taste each week, remember you will have to top up the barrel each week as well.</font>
After the barrel can I rack back into the carboy for more bulk aging?
Yes, just remember the sulfite levels will have dropped drastically.</font>

After 24 hours no leakage! I must have karma in the bank.<div id="myWatcherDiv" style="display:none;">

Do you have S02 testing equipment? If not I highly suggest getting a good tester for this like the Hanna unit or the cheapest option that is great is the Vinmetrica.

<div style="text-align: left;">I hope you say Vinmetrica. Is one better than the other? Google that and you will find the site.
</span><div id="myWatcherDiv" style="display: none;">

Day two, no leaks and will dump some wine in the barrel tonight.<div id="myWatcherDiv" style="display:none;">

I would have to suggest the new Vinmetrica 300 as it tests ph, ta and S02 all in 1!!! Heck, I wish it was available before I got my Hanna S02 tester and ph meter!!!

Me too!
No leaks. Drained and refilled last night and tight as a drum still this AM. Will drain this again this afternoon. Sanitize with a KMeta rinse. Stencil the winery name on the ends and fill-er up with the break in kit this afternoon.
smiley41.gif

John Prince said:
Day two, no leaks and will dump some wine in the barrel tonight.<div id="myWatcherDiv" style="display:none;">

I did not sanitize my barrel with kmeta. I just drained the barrel and added wine. What can I do? I'm leave for Bogota tomorrow after lunch. Is this going to mess up my wine? I plan to keep the wine in the barrel for two weeks.<div id="myWatcherDiv" style="display:none;">
I will look at the Vinmetrica 300.<div style="text-align: left;">
</span>

Remember, everything that comes into contact with the wine should be sanitized before hand. Kinda too late now. It will more than likely be just fine.

I would bet everything would be fine as the wood had been probably toasted right before assembly and that for sure would have killed anything.

The only thing is the chorine in the tap water. That KMETA rinse is always nice way to remove that before the wine goes in.
I am betting on it will be fine as well.
smiley20.gif

Latest posts

Back