Oak Barrel Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumpkinman

Reaction score
I have the opportunity to pick up real inexpensive Oak Barrels, all with stands and spigots:

20 liter (5.2 Gal) oak barrels with stands for $75.00
30 liter (6-7 Gal) oak barrels with stands for $80.00
50 Liter (13 Gal) Oak Barrels $100.00
70 Liter (18 Gal)-$138.00
100 Liter (26 Gal)- $162.00

These are made in Poland, made for the wine and whiskey industry in Europe.
an friend is exporting a container from Poland and offered to add 5 or 6 of these for me, no delivery charge, I just have to pick them up 5 hrs away, no big deal.
These would probably be here for the Chilean Wine season if I decided to purchase 5 of them.
I haven't found a whole lot online about Polish oak Barrels, does anyone have any experience?
Here is their advertisement, translated with Google Translate:
Made by hand from the highest quality oak tree by the best coopers. To store cognac, wine, whiskey. Antałki are 100% organic. Not used in the production of adhesives or any other chemicals that could affect the taste of alcohol stored in them. Antałki have forged black steel rims.

*** Each comes complete Antalek oak and oak stand tap. We are also available antałki with carved motifs.

* Available in capacities from 5-100 liters

I don't know if I could really go wrong?

Any input would be great!

barrel1.gif

barrel2.jpg

barrel3.jpg

Mike...I can't say that I wasn't waiting for that....lmao!
I'm interested in what the oak will bring to the wine, can't fine much about the oak trees there, one article seemed to indicate a tighter pulp as in the french oak...but who knows.

They should be fine , eastern european oak is widely used.
I've bought russian and hungarian barrels in the past and they were good.

check that they are not wax lined , many barrels in this area are as they use them for fruit brandies and vodka.

Altavino (John),
Thanks, just what i was looking to hear! Now I'll have to wait to see if they will make it into the container...LOL

Tom

Mike,
Yes, the prices are fantastic, I am in the process of getting a confirmation on which type of wood is used, one company uses Acacia,
acacia wood adds floral characteristics to white wines, with added structural mouth feel. “There’s no oak flavors; it’s just the fruit with a floral nose and great mouthfeel.” The barrels are more lightly toasted than oak barrels.
They go on to say that it is great for white wines, Reds, not so much.
There are a bunch of companies that make barrels, we are checking them out...thank God for Google translate!

Wow, that's a good price man, i baught a russian 5L for $50
what are there shipping prices?

If you tend to make smaller quantities, like 6 gallon kits, but the 30 liter and 20 liter. The 30 is over 6 gallons, so it is not too practical for kits. I would really go for the 20 liter, which is between 5 and 6 gallons. 23 liter barrels would be the very best for kits.

Back