Nutrient Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackfin1

Reaction score
I am making a batch of strawberry wine from vintners harvest and the instructions say to add all chemicals including the yeast nutrient with the K-meta, wait 24 hours then pitch yeast. My question is, if the k-meta is supposed to stun the bad yeast, then why add yeast nutrient right away? Can I just add the yeast nutrient when I pitch the yeast?

Thanks,
Sal

I am making a batch of strawberry wine from vintners harvest and the instructions say to add all chemicals including the yeast nutrient with the K-meta, wait 24 hours then pitch yeast. My question is, if the k-meta is supposed to stun the bad yeast, then why add yeast nutrient right away? Can I just add the yeast nutrient when I pitch the yeast?

Thanks,
Sal

I can't say for sure, but the reason is likely that adding it upfront will give the nutrient time to fully disperse before the yeast is added. The stunned yeast will not have much of an appetite at the time. :d

So, you can do it either way. I'd just follow the instructions.

Youd be fine adding the nutrient whenever. I wont hurt the nutrient by putting it in upfront and we usually do just that so that we dont have to stir it again until punching down the cap.

Latest posts

Back