Notes or log

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Prince

Reaction score
I log the dates and when I do something. Measure the SG. Sometimes the temperate. When to check on it again.
Can someone give me a sample of their notes or logs. I think it might help me in the long run to understand what I'm doing. Post here or email me at
[email protected]

Thanks,
John

I use a lab notebook (surprise!).

I note the date I started, the kit manufacture code (born on date). Notation of the steps followed, any step deviated from. Dates that I transferred from primary to secondary, racking dates, filtering dates, fining dates, stabilization dates, sulfite addition dates, when it went into the oak or the barrel, when it came out of the oak or barrel and lastly......

The bottling date!!!!!!!!!
smiley23.gif

Anything that I do or see or smell including any and all tasting notes along the way.

For kit wine I keep everything on the instruction sheet that came with the kit. For my own wine I keep a spreadsheet for each one that includes very detailed notes of the process to bottling and includes tasting notes afterwards.

I keep a notebook sectioned by year withsheets for each variety. I start making notes at pruning, make notes of first bud, first leaf, dates for every spray applied, dates for growing degree days through the growing season, every test for brix and pH leading to harvest, on through to the notes oncrush, ferment, and ending at bottling. If I do a kit I use the same notebook and make notes the same as I would with thehome growngrapes.

I use Brewtrax. Its a software that is designed for wine and beer, mostly wine and can keep track of everything from primary right to keeping track of what and when its been in your cellar.

We keep an excel spreadsheet and write down everytime we do something to the wine. I also keep an index card with the carboy and write down when it was racked, the SG and if anything important was done to it. It sounds like you are already doing a good job logging your progress. CC

I also keep an Excel spreadsheet documenting each step with temp and SG recorded. I insert end of fermentation date and let thespreadsheet calculate age for me.

I'm going to do better. I need to rack a couple carboys tomorrow and start another batch.

lol, go figure, Mike, you using lab notes!!!
smiley36.gif

Your wine looks awesome you just bottled. I am going to try that label website you use.

Kathie

Latest posts

Back