Not quite honey

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TXfanatic

Reaction score
I have a bit over 2 gallons of sugarwater/honey that i extracted this fall. I cannot sell it as honey and it's too late to feed it back to the bees. I was thinking of making a mead. Have any of you used not quite honey as a base? if so what adjustments to a recipe did you make?

When i tasted this it has a waxy/sugar taste. I dont know what it'll do in a wine but at this point I am going to need the fridge space soon

Thanks
Steve

So the bees just didnt get it evaporated enough to cap it?

If so, just thin it to SG of 1.085 & treat it like a normal mead... Only it'll have potential to be one of the best flippin meads as its not processed or been heated at all

Take it outside and freeze it until the spring, why make a crappy mead from sugarwater? You might make a regular wine from it, just dont call it mead, or even add it to the start of a beer or add some koolaide and have a refreshing drink but please dont give mead a bad rep by using sugarwater. If you put honeybeehealthy in there its already flavored:) WVMJ

Deezil,
as a rookie (newbee) beekeeper ......when I fed the bees sugar water in the spring they stored it as if it was nectar. I didn't realize that I pulled the super off that I had on during the time I was feeding and extracted it. So it it mostly sugar. It does have a hint of honey taste tho.

Jack, yep I could put it outside till spring and feed it then, I don't know why I didn't think of that. :slp All I really need is the space in the fridge. And your right..It wouldn't be a mead if I used the sugar water/honey. and nope...no honeybeehealthy in it lol

I do have some honey that I could make a real mead with I'll probably go that route. I just need to do some research on mead making. I don't want to screw up the little honey I have lol

Thanks Steve

Last edited:
Back