Not paying attention

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corn field

Reaction score
I thought I would post this to show the newbies that those of us that have been making wine for a long time screw up.
yesterday I started 2 batches of wine a 3gal batch of hibiscus and a 5gal batch of pineapple made from frozen concentrate. Had prepared both batches as normal then started yeast starters. For the hibiscus I was using Cote de Blanc , for the pineapple I was using red star champaign. Pitched the yeast for the hibiscus and then 2 hrs later was ready to pitch the yeast for the pineapple. It is now about 1:30 am opened the hibiscus and pitched the yeast prepared for the pineapple. So now I am at square one with the pinapple. Have a yeast starter almost ready to pitch today. Now this is not a total loss just a temporary set back. Maby we should share some of our goof up with the newbies to help them feel better when they mess up or need help.

I try to pay attention.....

BUT...am terrible when it comes to adding the Super-Kleer....Never remove enough wine to allow for the displacement of the Super-Kleer and the long spoon handle for stirring....
smiley3.gif
Almost a guarantee overflow.

Also, have one 6 gallon carboy that is a tiny bit bigger than the others...have to really pay attention or will over flow that too...
smiley3.gif

I should really maker the bigger carboy some how.

Note to self: Mark bigger carboy with a tape memo....

Im sure Im just jinxed myself by saying this but I havent done this in a year now as I stir this in on racking a few times before it gets anywhere near full cause im tired of using 1/2 a roll of papertowels to clean up the mess.
20081108_135345_Volcano.jpg

Do a search for the post I made about bottling the wrong carboy of wine. I bottled a still fermenting Mosti (high dollar)Port instead of a raspberry concoction I had made. I was so PO'd I threw the entire batch, bottles and all in the dumpster. I now mark my carboys very well using the zip lock bag idea George showed us at one of the Winestock's.

wade said:
Im sure Im just jinxed myself by saying this but I havent done this in a year now as I stir this in on racking a few times before it gets anywhere near full cause im tired of using 1/2 a roll of papertowels to clean up the mess.
20081108_135345_Volcano.jpg

That happens to me so much I now use a large Rubbermaid dishpan that I set the carboy in before I stir to catch the mess I will make.

I guess the worst mistake I ever made in my wine making experience was that one time I thought I had made a mistake.
smiley4.gif

OH Waldo, Im pretty sure it was when you lost all your recipes!

Did you ever find that book of recipes???

I put mine on this Forum....then they are always here if I should loose my little black book.

my newest mistake -

was overwhelmed w wine this year and could not get to a few gallons of must.....well it turned to vinegar...so i got sixteen bottles of the stuff

funny side story department -

i needed to pump wine from the garage down to the wine cellar....since i am using fifty gallon flex tanks now its not a case of just carrying the ole carboys down .....so i hooked up a food grade hose and ran it almost 150 feet......i started the pump and about 30 seconds into the flow our macaw screamed bloody murder endlessly......i had not taken into account his thinking that this wine flow would be a snake....needless to say we had to cover his cage for the afternoon

Like a fire hose outta control huh? that would have been an awesome picture for us Al!Gotta keep your camera handy for times like that!
smiley4.gif

Edited by: wade

trust me...the sound of that bird would have been heard by the deaf

Latest posts

Back