Not going below 1.000

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KenS

Reaction score
Looking for advice...

My first kit, a CC Lodi Old Vine Zin with grape pack. Went through primary with starting SG=1.081, and SG=1.000 when I racked it to a carboy for secondary, and added the enzyme pouch per instructions. That was day 8.

So today is day 21, and just checked the SG, and it still reads 1.000. What is strange is that I swore it was below that (.997) just a couple of days after racking (but it was tough to measure in the carboy). I now have a wine thief for checking the SG, and I have calibrated the hydrometer. No denying that the current SG is 1.000, even though I've seen very small bubbles in the carboy for the past 12 days (maybe just CO2 escaping?)

Instructions say that I should stabilize and clear when it gets to .998 or below, but I now doubt that it will ever go lower.

Suggestions?

One more data point: the temperature has been 72 - 75 throughout.

My thoughts are that it probably is done fermenting. I have heard that if there is a fair amount of CO2 gas that it will throw off the SG reading. If you want to check if it is the CO2 first, just remove some wine with the thief, and put it in the container you use with your hydrometer and degas that small amount before you test it. I have a test tube so I just put the wine in that cover it with my hand, and shake it a few times until the gas is all out, then test.

Last edited:
Yep, degas it or a sample and check the sample. C02 in the wine will make sa hydro float higher.

Thanks folks. I degassed it with a winesaver, and was quite surprised at how much CO2 came out. Wow.

After wearing myself out pumping the winesaver, the SG is 0.998. I do think it's done, but will probably let it sit under airlock until next weekend. I'll have more time for the stabilization and clearing steps.

Would it be worthwhile to rack to a clean carboy before proceeding with stabilization and clearing, or is that a wasted step until I do those steps?

Follow the instructions for the kit. If you need to keep all the sediment and stir it all in do so or the fining agent wont work properly. If it says to rack leaving all the sediment behind do so.

stabilizing is a very important step because it freezes in time all the possibilities that your wine has to offer...never rush the time from when you stabilize to bottling time...make sure you let the ingredients have to find their way to every oz of your wine

Latest posts

Back