NORTHERN FRUIT

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthernWinos

Reaction score
Here are our grapes on the 4th year after planting.

2006-01-29_201321_grapes.jpg

These are a very hardy Concord type grape, Beta and Valiant. Up to now I have only made breakfast juice with these fruits. We are not big jam and jelly eaters, but have made some for gifts as well as pancake syrup.I am going to put some of the breakfast juice in my next batch of Welch's Concord wine, just to see if it changes the flavor.

Here are some apple trees the first year.

2006-01-29_201714_apples_year_1.jpg

This is the 4th year after planting

2006-01-29_201819_apples_year_4.jpg

See, it doesn't take long to reap some harvests. If we can do this in the most inhospitable part of the country....think if what you can do in more moderate climates.
smiley1.gif

NW,

What breed of apple is that? Did you have to support the branches? Looks like a bumper crop
smiley4.gif
. Inspiration!

The two loaded trees are a very hardy 'late ripening' apple, Harlson and Harlson Red. They are a bi-annual producer, fruit every other year.
Yes, we had to support the branches, and I would have my husband park the grain truck in front on them on very windy days near the end of the season for shelter.
You are suppose to remove some of the small fruit in spring so you don't let the trees get so loaded...but that is hard to do.
Last year there was no fruit on those particular trees, this year they will produce, just the nature of that variety. So do research on your desired fruit trees, if you want fresh eating, juice, baking, or storage apples, or plant many different ones so you have fruit every year.
Encourage everyone to plant fruit trees, they grow fairly quickly, and by the way.....you need 2 trees for pollination.
Contact your Stage Agriculture Extension Office for varieties for your area, or visit your State Agriculture Web Site and ....Search....Fruit.
smiley1.gif
Edited by: Northern Winos

Latest posts

Back