NorthEast Harvest Updates?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ebonheart

Reaction score
I've on my schedule a day trip to the Lake Erie region in October, and planning on a possible trip to the Finger Lakes soon after, for fresh juice. Everything I'd heard at the beginning of the year was horrific, in terms of the Polar Vortex destroying, in some cases, significant swaths of vinifera, hybrid, and labrusca vines all over the Northeast. Add to that what seems to have been a warm and humid summer, and I wonder what we'll be finding in terms of juice once we get up there?

From the blogs of some of our favorite wineries on Lake Erie, some of the vinifera vine losses were in the 40-60% range. Many won't even have a 2014 season, in some cases. I was planning on doing hybrids and labrusca juice this fall (only my second season of home winemaking). I was wondering about juice availability and prices this fall? I suspect significant drops in the former, and slight increases in the later?

I have my order in at fallbright for this year again, they came out pretty well from what the owners have said to me. I pick up my first order next weekend!! The prices haven't gone up this year either which is always nice. They did say that their riesling crop is a little smaller than normal but I got my order in early.

Latest posts

Back