No Welch's in the Great White North?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronberntson

Reaction score
I've checked Safeway, Extra Foods, and Sobey's (Coop and Superstore not yet) and none of them stock the red and white Welch's frozen concentrate. The only juices in the freezer cases are those awful "beverages". Am I blind? Anyone else having the same problem? Anyone have a source? Do I have to smuggle it across the border?

Ron

Ron, do you have any of the big discount clubs, like Sam's or Costco? If so, I bought Welch's100% grape juice in large bottles (I think they were 1/2 gallon) and made a nice little Concord wine. Later I oaked it with chips and flavored it further with a mixed berry f-pack. Not a wine that you would enjoy with a meal, necessarily, but nice to drink all by itself.

The the Canadian Superstore. There is a Save-Easy here that carries it and they have the same supplier. also Sobeys and Foodland carries it

Rocky - yup, I can find Welch's juice in all local supermarkets and discount clubs, both white and red, just not in the frozen concentrate. It's not real hard to adjust the total liquid, but the concentrate is such a common recipe item.

I'll try Superstore. The local Sobeys didn't carry it and we don't have Save-Easy in Saskatchewan.

thanks
Ron

So, I checked Super Store and they have red and white grape frozen concentrated "beverage" - it does contain some frozen grape juice (second ingredient), so I'm guessing it isn't the real thing. What do you think?

I would be very careful of anything that did not say 100% grapes. Those "beverages" are a lot of artificial flavors and sugar, generally.

I think you're right. I'll stick with the "pure" juice in unconcentrated form and adjust as necessary. Looking for the frozen concentrate gives me another excuse to go across the border - be a "juice runner" just like the old "rum runners" (only the reverse direction).

I bought Welch's100% grape juice in large bottles (I think they were 1/2 gallon) and made a nice little Concord wine. Later I oaked it with chips and flavored it further with a mixed berry f-pack. May we live as long as we want, but never want as long as we live.

Latest posts

Back