Mosti Mondiale No raisins, Help

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markg

Reaction score
I have a Masters Edition Rojo Encantando w/raisins. I started the kit but have no raisins
smiley5.gif
. Now I can get them but my fermentation will be completed by the time I get them. What should I do? I'm thinking... let it go without raisins and hope when complete I don't get that "missing something" taste. Or, buy another kit, add both raisin packets, ferment, then blend with my first kit. Anyone with advise... options... experience with this kit. As always, Thank you all.

chill asap...and some k meta and restart when you get teh raisins

I agree with Al get that baby as cold as you can and restart (with new yeast to be on the safe side) when you get the raisins.
I made this kit in 07, it is outstanding, actually its a lot better then that but I would run out of adjectives! My hubby took it to a Christmas Party at his office and this and the Orange Chocolate Port were a hit.
VC

Wow... your scaring me. I can get it to 40 degrees, but how much K-Meta? I have a active ferment now, can't tell my s.g. but it is still high.

well the temps alone will slow everything to a crawl...you have not said anything about how long it will take to get your raisins

I just called mosti direct. They said not to stop ferment. They said to let it go as is. They also said the raisins just add to the alcohol and not flavor. I don't believe that. They also said that if I do start another batch and double the raisins, it may not ferment due to the high sugar/alcohol. What do you guys think? I am a little worried stopping fermentation at this point.

Mosti is sending as of yesterday. They said about 5 days. But with the holidays... who knows.

You could always just let it go and when you rack to the secondary add the raisins at that time, just be careful because I think it may fire up the yeast again. As long as you don't stop the ferment it should pick up both the flavor & the alcohol. I would be inclined to let it sit on the raisins a bit longer.
VC

Started @ 1.098, now 1.070. Started 48 hours ago. Do you think if I bought another kit and doubled the raisins on that kit, fermented then blended with this kit, do you think it's too much sugar to convert?

i would not do the doubling as you suggest as a corrective measure...i would consider it as an experiment only

my advice is a bit contrary to Mosti's and i dont want you to void any warranty....having said that...if it were mine...i would have no problem chilling the must a bit to slow things down...seeing that you are only 3-4 days from the raisins arriving...i dont see the need for k meta w such a short interval....you may need to add some new yeast....that is all...for when you get the raisins......

once again...that is only my view...i wouldnt sweat the thing too much...all should come out just fine in the end

Al, what do you think the raisins add much of.... flavor, tannins, alcohol? Do you think they will be missed if I leave them out? Maybe the correct question is... I see you have extensive experience in wine making. Have you ever created a wine, then made that same wine another time but either adding or deleting raisins. If so, did you notice?

I think they add all of the above. I have made wine without raisins and with raisins and I think those that I made "with" had a better body and mouth feel and were more complex than those "without."

admiral is right...and you WILL notice.....try it and see for yourself...there is a reason they are included...and a reason that its usually reflected in the price

Did you get the kit from George? if so... I would give him a call. Maybe if you talked to the right people, expressed your concern,along with some kind words, maybe they would make you a deal on anther kit.

George is great. I had a problem before and he was very fair. It actually happened recently. I'm not going to dump this on his lap too. Really it is Mosti's fault and my own. To my defense, the instructions are so generic, they state phrases as " If your kit has oak or "if" it has conditioner, etc... I really wasn't sure what I was supposed to have until I found the "check-off sheet" that was in the ingredients bag. But, live and learn. I'm at fault because I didn't take everything out of the box, read everything before starting, and having full knowledge of what i need before starting. (Kinda sounds like work). Also, it was Sunday night, I just finished racking 2 other kits, cleaned everything... I was kinda rushing to get this kit started. I did E-Mail Mosti though. Maybe they will give me a deal on a replacement kit. If not, I think I'll get another from George. I'll just serve this wine to people I don't like so much
smiley36.gif

Once you get the raisins, chop them up and put them in the carboy you rack the wine into. I think if you just let them sit for a couple of weeks or more, and I believe you'll get both the flavor and the alcohol.
VC

I may do that. The kit came with a yeast nutrient as well. It may start up again and convert sugar to alcohol. That was my concern,(too sweet).

My notes on this one said the yeast was EC1118 which is a very hardy yeast that can go up to 18%. I really think you are fine, and the only problem will be the wine becoming very active after adding both the nutrient & raisins. So put some of the wine in a wine bottle or 2 (better a gallon jug) and add back as the fermentation settles down. As long as you don't stop the fermentation the yeast and wine will be fine and in 2 years you'll want to make this one again!
VC

This was my response from Mosti;

Hi,

I believe we spoke on the phone yesterday afternoon, and like I told you on the phone I’m can ship you the raisins but will be to late to add it to the kit because you might end up with a high residual sugar.
Again like I explain you yesterday if you want to add raisins you can add the same quantity of dry concord raisins because it’s not the flavor you looking for but extract and sugar!
We will have a meeting with the entire team involved on packing, to ensure will not happen again, and like I told you on the phone I can offer you 10% on the purchased of the next kit and ship you a bag of raisins as soon is possible but I don’t see any other solution!</font>

Best Regards,

Matteo Meglioli.

Latest posts

Back