no flavour to wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eddmcc

Junior
Reaction score
hi ,,i have made my first batch of 4 galleons of red wine from grapes and it seemed to go well ..but when i tasted it the flavour was weak and not full bodied ,,,and ideas how to correct this please

Flavor; on red grapes flavor is a balance between tannins and acids vs sweet which is sugar and alcohol. The technique of doing a bench trial is done to guess how much of an acid or a tannin (or oak) might be added to get an optimum for you. ,,, note that individual tasters aren’t one size fits all and some like sweet, some like tannin etc.
Aromatics gets complicated because fruity aromas are sensed at parts per million and off notes as meaty/ sulfur are sensed at parts per trillion. It is easy to hide fruit with reductive sulfur.
Body, there are tools as glycerin and gum arabic which modify mouth feel. Taste is complicated, basically we are cooking and one needs to practice. ,,, This is where bench trials on 100ml samples is a good place to start.

welcome to WMT

Flavor; on red grapes flavor is a balance between tannins and acids vs sweet which is sugar and alcohol. The technique of doing a bench trial is done to guess how much of an acid or a tannin (or oak) might be added to get an optimum for you. ,,, note that individual tasters aren’t one size fits all and some like sweet, some like tannin etc.
Aromatics gets complicated because fruity aromas are sensed at parts per million and off notes as meaty/ sulfur are sensed at parts per trillion. It is easy to hide fruit with reductive sulfur.
Body, there are tools as glycerin and gum arabic which modify mouth feel. Taste is complicated, basically we are cooking and one needs to practice. ,,, This is where bench trials on 100ml samples is a good place to start.

welcome to WMT
thank you so much for this ,,,it does tell me i have a lot more to learn ,,which on here i can hopefully do ,,many thanks

Welcome to WMT!

We need a lot more information, such as what kind of grapes and what process did you use?
the grapes are from my allottment and were there when i got it so i dont know only that they grow well ,,,i hand crushed them and then left them for ten days doing the fermenting bit and now they in demi johns ,,sorry this is a bit basic but i am very new

the grapes are from my allottment and were there when i got it so i dont know only that they grow well ,,,i hand crushed them and then left them for ten days doing the fermenting bit and now they in demi johns ,,sorry this is a bit basic but i am very new
No need to apologize for being a beginner -- every winemaker on this forum started as a beginner. 😊

Unfortunately, you're unlikely to transform this wine into what you want, which doesn't mean you can't improve it. An addition of powdered tannin will add structure, and glycerin will add body. If you're ok with a slightly sweet wine, you can stabilize with potassium sorbate + potassium metabisulfite (K-meta) and backsweeten with a frozen juice concentrate (undiluted). Other folks may have additional suggestions.

Part of the problem is pruning of the vines. Go to the grape growing forum and post a question, including photos of the leaves if you have them. The goal is to reduce your grape yield, which produces better fruit which translates into better wine.

I suggest using a commercial yeast, as it will give you a bit of control vs. relying on whatever yeast happens to grown on your grape skins.

We have a lot of members in the UK, so hopefully someone can chime in on sources for supplies.

No need to apologize for being a beginner -- every winemaker on this forum started as a beginner. 😊

Unfortunately, you're unlikely to transform this wine into what you want, which doesn't mean you can't improve it. An addition of powdered tannin will add structure, and glycerin will add body. If you're ok with a slightly sweet wine, you can stabilize with potassium sorbate + potassium metabisulfite (K-meta) and backsweeten with a frozen juice concentrate (undiluted). Other folks may have additional suggestions.

Part of the problem is pruning of the vines. Go to the grape growing forum and post a question, including photos of the leaves if you have them. The goal is to reduce your grape yield, which produces better fruit which translates into better wine.

I suggest using a commercial yeast, as it will give you a bit of control vs. relying on whatever yeast happens to grown on your grape skins.

We have a lot of members in the UK, so hopefully someone can chime in on sources for supplies.
that is very helpfull as well ,,im really glad i found this site ,,i will try these surgestions ,,and again thank you

Welcome to the forum! Glad you have you aboard.

I had to look up "allotment" as it applies in the UK. Could it be that the grapes you are using are table grapes rather than wine grapes? Table grapes are large and plump and not as flavorful as wine grapes, and wines made from table grapes tends to be less flavorful. If it is possible, can you ascertain the grape variety?

@eddmcc welcome to WMT!

Since you're in the UK it should be easy to find books by CJJ Berry, a giant in home wine making last century. Good info.

Did you taste the grapes beforehand? I always taste ingredients and my #1 unbreakable rule is NFNW - No Flavor No Wine.

(I cleaned it up - it's actually NFNFW. 😇)

Latest posts

Back