No Corkscrew?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I watched a travel show one night and they cut the neck off the bottle just below the cork using a string which they set on fire, then water.
Cut it cleaner than a whistle.
I don't know why they didn't try a cork screw, except for maybe the bottle was a 1955 vintage.

Back before I was into wine, I didn't even OWN a corkscrew. One night a girl I was dating came by and of course brought a bottle of wine she wanted to drink and asked me to open it. I panicked! I excused myself and went out to the garage, bottle in hand.

Grabbed a 3" drywall screw and my Makita cordless drill. I sunk the screw into the cork, clamped the head of the screw into the vise and yanked on the bottle. Out it came!

Although she picked a couple small pieces of cork out of her wine so I must have gone all the way through with the drywall screw. I just explained (as if I knew something about wine) "yeah...you get that with some of the cheaper corks."

Edit: Read the whole thread and see I'm not the first to use the drywall screw method! :)

Last edited:
Back before I was into wine, I didn't even OWN a corkscrew. One night a girl I was dating came by and of course brought a bottle of wine she wanted to drink and asked me to open it. I panicked! I excused myself and went out to the garage, bottle in hand.

Grabbed a 3" drywall screw and my Makita cordless drill. I sunk the screw into the cork, clamped the head of the screw into the vise and yanked on the bottle. Out it came!

Although she picked a couple small pieces of cork out of her wine so I must have gone all the way through with the drywall screw. I just explained (as if I knew something about wine) "yeah...you get that with some of the cheaper corks."

Edit: Read the whole thread and see I'm not the first to use the drywall screw method! :)

wait wait.. You said the girl brought the wine? lol i want me one of those haha

And then there is this way..

picture.php

im so gonna try this. we used to something kind of like this with beer bottles, right when someone opens a beer you can slam hard on the top of the bottle with the meaty part of your hand and the bottom will fall off the bottle, if you hit it just right. but the cork thing seems alot cooler (cause you can actually drink it afterward)

-dan-

Latest posts

Back