Niagara

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pizz65

Reaction score
I started my wine and everything was going good ...so I thought. I used the recipe from here for frozen concentrate. I tasted it yesterday and it is like rocket fuel.... any suggestions on taming it ??

</font></font>

What was the starting sg and what was the finished and when was it started. I hate to answer a question with a question but we need to know more before we can even think about knowing what is wrong and if there really is anything wrong as most wines need a lot of time. How many cans per gallon also.

I have made quite a few batches of Niagara over the years. I have had only one batch that turned out very hot and that one was made from Concentrate. All the others were made from my own Niagara grapes and came out very nice. The difference? Niagara is a low brix grape on it's own and I bring the SG upt to 1.080. It turns out nice that way. I found when I followed the recipe for it the one time from concentrate when I made it a bit over 1.090, that is when it was hot. It did mellow out after a full year and was OK. I like my own better however. They have more complexity and body to them. The concentrate seemed to be thinner and with less complexity.

Give it more time and if you make it again, try adding less sugar.

ok, started

11-2-08 SG. 1.092
11-9 SG. 1.010
11-29 SG .990 added pot. sorbate, bentonite, pot. metabisulfite
12-16 SG .990
</font>

Thats a 13.4 abv which is very high for a white wine, how many cans did you add? This is either going to take a long time to smooth out or you will have to sweeten it a bit to make it less hot. You really should shoot for a much lower sg on a white wine like this, more along the lines of 1.080.

wade said:
Thats a 13.4 abv which is very high for a white wine, how many cans did you add? This is either going to take a long time to smooth out or you will have to sweeten it a bit to make it less hot. You really should shoot for a much lower sg on a white wine like this, more along the lines of 1.080.

Now why didn't I think of that- Oh Wait a minute I did!

appleman said:
I have made quite a few batches of Niagara over the years. I have had only one batch that turned out very hot and that one was made from Concentrate. All the others were made from my own Niagara grapes and came out very nice. The difference? Niagara is a low brix grape on it's own and I bring the SG upt to 1.080.
Edited by: appleman

Do you think I could add more Niagara frozen grape juice to mellow this wine out to be able to drink it??</font>

I made the same mistake. I fixed it bymakinga second batch with 5 bananas and white raisins with a SG 1.070. I mixed the two batches and aged 4 months. My wife thought that I was nuts. It is now her favorite. I just don't kow if you would still call it niagara. It has a fruity aroma. It starts off smooth and finishes with a young smooth slight hint of an after burn that I think will fade with time.

Rocky Top is right. It would cut it back to an acceptable alcohol level by making a lower ABV Niagara and mixing the two. Young Niagara typically has a slight alcohol burn to it anyways. It will get better with age and could even probably be enjoyed on it's own after a year.

where would I get the white raisins at??? Would they be at the grocery store??

I am sorry, I should have said golden raisin. I was thinking white wine. You can buy a box at just about any Grocery store or super walmart for under $3.00

When ever I make a welches I always add raisins ( golden raisins for white wines) and at least one banana. It seems to help fementaion and fills out the body. Most will say that it is an early drinker but time will remove most of the rocket fuel if youhave some body to fall back on.

So how many golden raisin would you put in per gallon?? I have a 6 1/2 gallon carboy and 2 one gallons. And how many bananas per/gallon?

Well?,........... I use onebox for 6 gallons ( The box is, I think just under a quart?, Maybe a pound?, $2.79 at Walmart)

I would devide two boxes between your 8 Gallons.

I would use one banana per gallon.
The banana will not taste like a banana when it is in the wine. And it will give your wine a fruity aroma that you will recognize from now on. It will add body and it will leave potasium in the wine . This should be a good thing.
If you read store bought wine lables you will see that most white and fruit wines have some banana in them.

Latest posts

Back