Newbie - Go gentle with me - UK

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siamese

Junior
Reaction score
Hello to Everyone

Just a quick introduction.

Starting winemaking again after some 30 years. Looking forward to looking forward to reading some of the great advice on wine making talk.

From a reasonable sunny Scarborough, North Yorkshire UK

Thank you BigDaveK for your welcome.

I am planning to try elderberry (dried fruit) and maybe ginger. I have to buy all the equipment because I disposed of mine a long time ago. I have just bought some used demijohns. We used to be able to get them in the UK virtually free but now the are upward of £7 each. I got 7 for £20 although I had to travel about an hour to get them. I didn't mind as we wanted a day out and Helmsley is a nice a little market town.

Regards

Welcome to WMT!

What wines are you planning?
Welcome to WMT!

What wines are you planning?

I am planning to try elderberry (dried fruit) and maybe ginger. I have to buy all the equipment because I disposed of mine a long time ago. I have just bought some used demijohns. We used to be able to get them in the UK virtually free but now the are upward of £7 each. I got 7 for £20 although I had to travel about an hour to get them. I didn't mind as we wanted a day out and Helmsley is a nice a little market town.

Regards

Welcome to the Forum, and welcome back to a great hobby.
Elderberries are ripening here in the UK, why not try a fresh Elderberry wine? There are loads of recipes here on the Forum. Plenty of good advice as well.

I didn't mind as we wanted a day out and Helmsley is a nice a little market town.
Welcome back to winemaking! I've been to Scarborough a couple times and to Helmsley. We stayed at Sutton Bank/Hambleton for a week 20 years ago.

Regards
I hope to harvest a boatload of elderberries next year but until then I bought dried elderberries and did 4 small batches - 2 1-gallon batches using different yeast, a wild blackberry/elderberry, and an elderberry/wild blackberry. I think you'll be happy with the dried berries. In fact, this year I fell in love with elderberries and also dried hibiscus.
Check a couple recipes for dried elderberries. Some use a lot, hot water, and then remove the berries before fermentation. Others use less berries but keep them in primary. That's what I tried and I like the result.

My ginger wine was good but not great. I only had access to so-so ginger, not the hot/spicy kind I really wanted. It's on my list to re-do.

Good luck!

Back