newbie from SW England

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hedgemonkey

Junior
Reaction score
Hi, just a little note to introduce myself. I live in the Devon/Cornwall border near Bude. The 'hedgemonkey' moniker comes from one of my old students who took great delight in the fact that I'm regularly to be found in the odd hedge foraging for wild foods, as is my other hobby

I've been winemaking with relative success for the past couple of years, but just the odd gallon or two, which despite my impatience and total inexperience turned out quite well.

I've just made a couple of 1 gallon musts in their primaries; Plum & banana(for body), and Plum & Apricot(and banana). I got 11lb of plums for £2 at the local car booty yesterday, and what better way to use them!

Currently in secondarys I have a gallon each of Strawberry, Elderflower, Strawberry & Elderflower, and a lovely lookin' Raspberry, all started about a month ago. :h

Welcome to the forum. Keep us informed of your latest and greatest wine creations.

Welcome to the forum. Twelve pounds of plums for a little more than 3 bucks is great. Two questions on the use of bananas in the wines. What preparation do you do with the bananas before adding them and are they added in the primary stage? Thanks, glad to have you on board.

Welcome to the forum. Twelve pounds of plums for a little more than 3 bucks is great. Two questions on the use of bananas in the wines. What preparation do you do with the bananas before adding them and are they added in the primary stage? Thanks, glad to have you on board.

Hi Rocky. I added the bananas as they are supposed to enhance the flavour, whereas adding raisins (according to the recipe) can alter it. This is the process to add 1lb to a 1 gallon must.

Peel the bananas and slice crosswise ¼ to ½ inch (0.64–1.3 cm) thick. Place slices in saucepan with one pint of boiling water per pound of banana (~1.1 L/kg). Simmer 20 minutes and strain without squeezing. Retain and cover liquid and set aside to cool. Water should have reduced to about 12 ounces (360 mL).

Add the banana water to your must. I avoided squeezing the bag as directed and the wine has now begun to clear quite well after only 4 weeks

Latest posts

Back