Newbie from PA

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shen

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I started making wine in Jan. of this year, and have been reading the Forum for about a month now learning everything I can, and decided to register.
It's still cold here in PA, and doing my wine in my unheated (55 degrees in the winter) basement has posed a challenge with fermentation temps. I could use brewers belts, but that is an expense that I could do without, and buy more juice and kits instead. So, I've converted an old refrigerator into a brewers cabinet. I placed a small radiator inside which is on a thermostat, and still have room for up to 3 batches of wine. Best of all, it didn't cost me a thing, which is good, because I'm quickly finding out that you can never have enough carboys. I'm on my 6th one and soon will need #7.

Anyway, I'm enjoying reading the forum, and have learned a lot.

Thanks,
-scott

Welcome to the party!
smiley20.gif

Welcome Scott, the brew belt is about the least costly item and much used. Still cold here too!!

I get that, but why not use something I already have? My brewer's cabinet is working great.

brewers_cabinet.jpg

I would say you are spending way more money with that radiator as they use about 100 times more electricity to run!

I like the refrigerator idea. It keeps the whole thing a constant temp. The heater probably hardly ever runs, so the cost shouldn't be that big. Very ingenious.

Welcome to the fun!

Welcome to the forum Scott. That's what I like---Pennsylvania innovation.

runningwolf said:
Welcome aboard Shen, only in PA!!! It looks like you are in a dorm room with that refridgerator. Neat idea. What area are you from?
Thanks all. No, not a dorm room. I set up a corner of my basement to make wine and it's working out pretty well. I'm in the middle of the state in State College. Been here all my life with the exception of a 6 yr. enlistment in the USAF.

Welcome Shen, I try to get down to Mt Nittany a couple of times a year, nice area, growing fast.

FL Steve said:
Welcome Shen, I try to get down to Mt Nittany a couple of times a year, nice area, growing fast.
Steve, next time you're in the area, you should check out Seven Mountains Winery. They're fairly new, but really cleaned up the awards at the PA Farm Show wine judging this year. I've met the owners Mary-Ann and Scott, super nice people!! Seven Mountains Cellars

Sorry, Shen, I did not read all the replies. You are in State College. I am originally from Pittsburgh and I knew a guy named Shenefelt. I wondered if that was your name and if you were related.
Go, Joe Pa!

Rocky said:
Sorry, Shen, I did not read all the replies. You are in State College. I am originally from Pittsburgh and I knew a guy named Shenefelt. I wondered if that was your name and if you were related.
Go, Joe Pa!
No, sorry, that's not me. My name is Scott.

Back