Newbie Concord grape wine, day 3 HELP

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acamerainva

Junior
Reaction score
Primary temp still steady (around 70 degrees)
After 1st 12 hours added Pectic enzyme (1.5t), after next 12 hrs. (Day 2) added one packet yeast (Lalvin wine yeast, 71B-1122 (5 grams))
SG 1.070
Day 3 punched down must, SG 1.060
Everything I read says my SG isn't where it's supposed to be, and I should add (more) sugar - how much (more) for 18#s grape (added 2.25 c on Day 1)

Tasty - grape juicy good.

Already have sealed primary and put in air lock.
Does the yeast need air???

Previously:
Julie, Haven't gotten the tannin yet, working on it.

Here's the background
Just started my new batch, found a concord grape wine recipe online (ADAPTED fm Raymonde Massacessi's Winemaker's Recipe Handbook)

Concord Grape Wine 2
12 # fresh concord grapes
2 pts. water
1.5 cups granulated sugar
1 tsp. pectic enzyme
1 crushed Campden tab
1 tsp. yeast nutrient
wine yeast

Washed and destemmed grapes. Froze whole in mesh bag as they ripened (after jelly production ended - Sept).
Took bag (18#) out of freezer and put in primary. Left at room temp (approx. 70 degrees) for 24 hours until thawed.
Crushed grapes, added 2.25 c. sugar to 3 pts. water (dissolved), two campden tabs and 1.5 tsp. yeast nutrient as directed.

Instead of covering with clean cloth, I've snapped down primary lid and added air lock.

Recipe says to add pectic enzyme in 12 hours and to recover.
Another 12 hours later, says to check SG. Says if not 1.095, to add sugar, stir to dissolve and add yeast. (Doesn't say how much of either one)

I have Lalvin wine yeast, 71B-1122 (5 grams)

So far so good?

Feedback more than welcome!!!

Last edited:
I would let it go for now. if you add sugar at that level you could get rocket fuel. The Pectic will help break down the sugar for the yeast to eat. Let it go for now

Check your s.g. 12 hrs or so after you add the pectic. Doesn't have to be exactly 12 hrs, just when you have some time to deal with it. Bring the s.g. up to 1.085 to 1.095 or so. Add simple sugar to bring the s.g. up [1 cup of sugar in 1/2 cup hot water] slowly. Add some sugar water, stir it in and ck the s.g. When you get it where you want it, pitch the yeast. You can either pitch it dry, or rehydrate it and have it started when it hits the must. To rehydrate it, get a cup or so of about 100 degree water. Put a bit of sugar in, a little yeast nutrient and sprinkle the yeast on top. After an hour or so put a half cup or so of your must in. Couple of hours later or so, add another half cup. Let it sit, if you start this when you put the pectic in, after the 12 hrs and adding the extra sugar if you need it you can just pour the starter in. It should take off soon after. Make sure the whole works is around 70 degrees or so and you should shortly have a yeasty smellin winery. Good luck with it, Arne.

Thank you for the response!

I would let it go for now. if you add sugar at that level you could get rocket fuel. The Pectic will help break down the sugar for the yeast to eat. Let it go for now

Also looked up the airlock and found it's not recommended so I opended the primary and covered with cheese cloth.

Concord wine, day 4 begins

Took the lid and airlock off the primary, added cheese cloth last night. Hopefully the yeast with start 'cooking'

Primary temp still steady (around 70 degrees)
After 1st 12 hours added Pectic enzyme (1.5t), after next 12 hrs. (Day 2) added one packet yeast (Lalvin wine yeast, 71B-1122 (5 grams))
SG 1.070
Day 3 punched down must, SG 1.060
Everything I read says my SG isn't where it's supposed to be, and I should add (more) sugar - how much (more) for 18#s grape (added 2.25 c on Day 1)

Tasty - grape juicy good.

Already have sealed primary and put in air lock.
Does the yeast need air???

Previously:
Julie, Haven't gotten the tannin yet, working on it.

Here's the background
Just started my new batch, found a concord grape wine recipe online (ADAPTED fm Raymonde Massacessi's Winemaker's Recipe Handbook)

Concord Grape Wine 2
12 # fresh concord grapes
2 pts. water
1.5 cups granulated sugar
1 tsp. pectic enzyme
1 crushed Campden tab
1 tsp. yeast nutrient
wine yeast

Washed and destemmed grapes. Froze whole in mesh bag as they ripened (after jelly production ended - Sept).
Took bag (18#) out of freezer and put in primary. Left at room temp (approx. 70 degrees) for 24 hours until thawed.
Crushed grapes, added 2.25 c. sugar to 3 pts. water (dissolved), two campden tabs and 1.5 tsp. yeast nutrient as directed.

Instead of covering with clean cloth, I've snapped down primary lid and added air lock.

Recipe says to add pectic enzyme in 12 hours and to recover.
Another 12 hours later, says to check SG. Says if not 1.095, to add sugar, stir to dissolve and add yeast. (Doesn't say how much of either one)

I have Lalvin wine yeast, 71B-1122 (5 grams)

So far so good?

Feedback more than welcome!!!

Yup. Cover with cloth and stir 2-3 times daily for the first week, give or take. After you rack it off the fruit is when you put it under an airlock. That first week is when the yeast needs air to grow properly. The stirring will release gasses and keep all the fruit mixed in.

Concord Grape Wine, Day 5

Well, the must is getting 'mustier', fermentation in full swing, lot's of bubbly activity from the yeast.
SG was 1.010 - I know that's bad, but at this point last year I 'back sweetened' and got rocket fuel, so I'm being abundantly cautious.
Got tannin today, would it help to add it?:?
What about TA and ph readings? :?

It's always a good idea to add tannin to concord because it's a low tannin grape. Tannin not only gives mouthfeel, but it helps stabiize the wine and the color.

TA readings aren't all that important on concord, but PH is. We adjust our concord to a PH of 3.4 which means adding calcium carbonate to bring the PH up. This is better done pre-ferment.

Not quite sure why you chose 71B for this grape. The primary acid in concord is tartaric acid.

A good yeast to use for Concord wine is Montrachet. I love the flavor Montrachet yeast gives to Concord wine.

I agree Tom. Montrachet is a good culture for concord because its fruit profile.

Latest posts

Back