Newbie Basic Question - Air Tight Seals

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPR

Reaction score
Hi guys

I am about to make a fruit wine/dragons blood for the first time using a mixture of blackberries,plums,raisins etc and all the recipe says not to seal the fermentation vessel or apply the airlock?

I have been making kit wines and with those the vessels are sealed airtight with an airlock during fermentation

What's the reason for not makng it airtight and is this correct?

It is correct that you DO NOT need to seal any primary fermentation vessel. There is plenty of CO2 being generated to protect your wine and particularly with Dragons Blood and reply every wine it helps to stir it every day. I cover mine in some manner to keep dirt and animals out. Why do kits say to use an airlock, is the next obvious question. I believe they feel there is less chance of the winemaker messaging something up by forgetting to sanitized anything that goes in the bucket if nothing goes in the bucket. It will ferment with an airlock, but they aren't required. I do all my kits without an airlock.

Last edited:
As a rookie I always used an airlock. I liked to see the fermentation in action. Now I simply cover to protect. Less equipment to clean.

Hi guys

I am about to make a fruit wine/dragons blood for the first time using a mixture of blackberries,plums,raisins etc and all the recipe says not to seal the fermentation vessel or apply the airlock?

I have been making kit wines and with those the vessels are sealed airtight with an airlock during fermentation

What's the reason for not makng it airtight and is this correct?

What kits recommend airlocking during fermentation? I have never heard of that. The ones I have done all ferment in an open bucket, then rack to secondary(carboy with airlock).

I always ferment in an open bucket as it allows the must to get oxygen and also allows you to stir the must and punch down grape skins, fruit bag, etc. if used, without having to keep popping on and off a lid.

All of the selection kits I have done say if is has an airlock use it which is why I was wondering about this.

Thanks for your help guys

Latest posts

Back