Newbee carboy question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wormcoach

Junior
Reaction score
I've got a 6 gallon carboy. I was planning on making 3 gallons of wine. Can I use the 6 gal carbon for 2ndary fermentation? Or do I need to fill it? I figure if I can't use it, I'll use the glass gallon jugs the juice came in to ferment, just get more stoppers and air locks.

Also, during primary fermentation in the food-grade pail. Does it need to be covered with an airlock or just covered with a cloth?

Thanks for all the help.

Using the 6 gallon is kind of "if-ie" for me, even though secondary doesn't require topping off.

That is a lot of room for circulation, even though the CO2 will still try to put down a blanket of protection.

I'll defer to others who may have done this already.

If no one else responds, I'd use the gallon jugs, especially if the particular wine requires a long secondary.

Three gallon carboys are a whole lot cheaper the the six gallons; maybe that would be better than buying more bungs and air locks... just can't say.

Covering just with a cloth is fine, but only during primary. The wine needs air during primary, anyway.

I myself would not recommend the 6 for a 3 gallon batch. If it were to be sulfited you could get away with it for awhile but you will be fermenting.

Why not make a 6 gallon batch of wine? Or as Robbie said pick up a 3 gallon carboy.

During primary ferm. just lay a lid loosely on top, cheesecloth, shirt, cardboard just something to keep critters out. Let your must breath freely.

Back