New Wine Room

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the open ends, maybe plywood with edge banding, Raised panel or panel with mirror?

Im actually thinking it would look good open. How many times do you see a side open on a wine rack. Might look good. Maybe stock those and see how it looks open?

"On the open ends, maybe plywood with edge banding, Raised panel or panel with mirror?"

Im actually thinking it would look good open. How many times do you see a side open on a wine rack. Might look good. Maybe stock those and see how it looks open?

All very good ideas, thank you both. I'm still up in the air, it might look really good open, being able to see the sides of the bottles. If it does get filled in, it'll just be the narrow space between the two vertical 1x2's you can see in the last pic. I'd want the filled area to be flush with the 1x2's so as not to encroach on the countertop. I could use 1x2's, 1/2 x 1/2's, a flush panel, nothing, really a lot of options. I'd like to see what it looks like when the countertop, back wall stone, and LED lighting is all in place.

It's probably going to be a game day decision once it's all done, and it won't be any harder to do later rather than sooner, but it's on my watch list for the moment.

One thing to think about is a spill, over the side and down the cabinet. Have to pull bottles to clean, reaching around slats. Some attractive end splashes would be convenient to eliminate such an issue. Decisions, decisions..

Got the first of the diamond racks yesterday. Things have been too smooth, so it was time for problems. The unit you are looking at actuall goes on top of the racks on the other wall. It was 1/4" too long and just wouldn't fit, tore up the wall a bit trying to get it to go, but it's a no go and will have to be modified. It's sitting on the other rack for the moment.

image.jpg

Meanwhile, and trouble free, I mulled the base cabinets together and prepared holes for the plumbing and electrical penetrations, and screwed them in place. Did the same with the wall cabinets, they're ready for door installation as things finish up. We'll be measuring for stone tops next week.

image.jpg

i'll be danged,
the upright 1 bys with 3/4 x 1 inch is exactly what I've been thinking about doing myself, I like to fell over when I saw your rack. :HB
Dawg::

Busy evening, finished the left racking and trim, pressed and racked the Chilean Cab. Ready for bed tonite and the rest of the cabinets tomorrow. It'll be a busy weekend for sure.

i'll be danged,
the upright 1 bys with 3/4 x 1 inch is exactly what I've been thinking about doing myself, I like to fell over when I saw your rack. :HB
Dawg::

Dawg, the verticals are 1 x 2, horizontals that the bottles sit on are 1/2" x 1/2". Spacing between frames and horizontals is critical to handle the myriad of 750 ml bottles out there without giving up too much space for the "normal" sized bottles I use. I mocked the spacing up to maximize flexibility and efficiency and would be happy to share the results if you're interested.

i'd be honored,
thank you,
Dawg

Dawg, the verticals are 1 x 2, horizontals that the bottles sit on are 1/2" x 1/2". Spacing between frames and horizontals is critical to handle the myriad of 750 ml bottles out there without giving up too much space for the "normal" sized bottles I use. I mocked the spacing up to maximize flexibility and efficiency and would be happy to share the results if you're interested.

Got the first of the diamond racks yesterday. Things have been too smooth, so it was time for problems. The unit you are looking at actuall goes on top of the racks on the other wall. It was 1/4" too long and just wouldn't fit, tore up the wall a bit trying to get it to go, but it's a no go and will have to be modified. It's sitting on the other rack for the moment.

John, why don't you cut the wall of the corner display and that'll be your 1/4 of an inch. As opposed to taking apart the diamonds and having to cut the whole thing.

John, why don't you cut the wall of the corner display and that'll be your 1/4 of an inch. As opposed to taking apart the diamonds and having to cut the whole thing.

You'd see that modification, as the verticals of the corner unit remain exposed. Plus the unit's installed and tied into all of the racking, I'd destroy the room trying to get it out to work on it. Recessing the other end into the drywall was considered at the time, but I pulled that back too. In the end analysis, I'll remove the trim on the right end and take off the 3/4" plywood end panel and replace it with a 1/4" or 3/8" end panel and go from there.

It's not an easy solution either, all of these joints and trim are glued, screwed, and nailed.

image.jpg

Last edited:
John, sorry to hear about that. I know what a physical and mental pain it is to make a correction like that at this stage. Best of luck.

@Johnd , on the 3/4 plywood (wall end) end take your circular saw cut 3/8 deep saw kerfs 1/4 to 3/8 apart all along the length. Then take a chisel break away the area between the kerfs. You will now have a 3/8 gap at wall end to scribe that 1/4 inch off your stile/mullion your needing.

Last edited:
Meanwhile, and trouble free, I mulled the base cabinets together and prepared holes for the plumbing and electrical penetrations, and screwed them in place. Did the same with the wall cabinets, they're ready for door installation as things finish up. We'll be measuring for stone tops next week.

Dunno why I expected to see a door with a "peep-hole" instead of huge glass???? :? LOL

@Johnd , on the 3/4 plywood (wall end) end take your circular saw cut 3/8 deep saw kerfs 1/4 to 3/8 apart all along the length. Then take a chisel break away the area between the kerfs. You will now have a 3/8 gap at wall end to scribe that 1/4 inch off your stile/mullion your needing.

Too messy in the room Dave, we'll just pop the end off and have the DNC machine cut out a new 3/8 end panel, screw it on and move forward. I don't want to be dusting and cleaning filters in the room, too much wine in there.

Back