New Vineyard Prep

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's just my trust in the weather forecasters. Sounds like many areas in the state of Wisconsin did receive significant frost.

Well it was a good day of work in the vineyard. We got about 650 vines in. More next weekend

Is that a picture of last year's vines or this year's? If this year's, what did you use to plant them with. I don't see any soil residue from digging and filling holes. Were they plant bands or bareroot vines? So many questions, but it looks so good and must feel rewarding.

The picture is from this year's planting. The vines were bareroot.

I have received mentoring from the largest vineyard in the state about a planting technique that utilizes a dibble to put the vines in the ground. They have 99% success rate using this technique so I took their recommendation. On our first planting last year, we had a 99% percent success with the same approach. The process is relatively quick and does not require the loosening up a large amount of the natural soil.

While we had our own manufactured by a family friend, attached is concept that we used.

31cIo+qPLQL._SY300_.jpg

Do you need to trim the roots a lot using that? I can't imagine using some of the bare root Marquette vines with that. They have a root mass about 2 feet long and a foot wide.

Yes. I trim so there is about 6 inches or so. I was concerned the first time I saw it but given the respect this winery has, small winery of the year 2015 at international wine competition, I took their advice.

I have seen device like this on commercial grape growing book(s). This is very fast. But I remember the soil is prep'ed first, loosened, tested and fertilized, before the vines are put in.

ImageUploadedByWine Making1432500372.021821.jpgImageUploadedByWine Making1432500386.651467.jpg

With the help of a crew yesterday we finished the vineyard expansion.

364 Frontenac
182 Frontenac Gris
246 Marquette
288 st pepin
144 lacrosse

257 line posts

What great excitement and now much needed rest

Below are some pictures of our 2nd year Foch. This was before trimming to train the two strongest shoots. We have had some really good growth so far this year. I am hoping we can get the trellis finished before my wife and I welcome our newest addition on July 4th

ImageUploadedByWine Making1433807768.520872.jpgImageUploadedByWine Making1433807785.803409.jpgImageUploadedByWine Making1433807799.237382.jpg

Those are growing along nicely. Lots of work isn't it?
Good luck with the new baby(I assume). That will really add more chores and work for you. LOL My wife was born on July 4th and mine is the day after Christmas so we can each remember ours birthdays easily.

Got most of the wire strung for the vineyard as you can see in the picture. As for the picture with the Foch vines, these are second year vines that I am attempting to double trunk. Should I let the vine naturally fall to one side? Cut it just above the wire and let a lateral grow out? Something else? Thanks

ImageUploadedByWine Making1435788845.311640.jpgImageUploadedByWine Making1435788868.179176.jpgImageUploadedByWine Making1435788887.610957.jpg

I would just bend them over the wire. If you have any bull canes with wide internode spacing I would crop those and let a lateral grow the cordon.

Grow tunes coming off today which was a great finish for the vines. A question I have is anyone's experience with the following caterpillar below.

ImageUploadedByWine Making1441413874.997151.jpg

We found three of them on the vines. I didn't spray at all this year given they were first year vines. Otherwise I feel the vineyard is coming along nicely.

ImageUploadedByWine Making1442108203.563643.jpg
ImageUploadedByWine Making1442108218.630800.jpg
The year is finishing off strong. Overall, good growth in all vines. Word to the wise, earth anchors by hand is a chore. I've put 62 in,34 left. What an excitement that will be to have done.

The augur type anchors are a real chore to put in by hand. I now like to use the Fenox stony point anchors. With teir tool and a good sized hammer they go in relatively easy in a matter of minutes. They are a bit more expensive but go in so much easier it is worth the money. They also hold better than the earth anchors when it gets a bit wet.
http://www.orchardvalleysupply.com/ovsstore/pc/Stony-Ground-Anchors-Fenox-11p10.htm

Back