RJ Spagnols New to RJ Spagnols...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mazzum

Junior
Reaction score
Been a WE maker for a few years but they discontinued the crushendo kits so I gave RJ a try. Just bottled a Winery Valpolicella and a Cru Select platinum Barolo. Must say that the tasting during bottling had big potential. Can't wait to try them 6 months to a year from now.

I have not tried any of the Cru Select, but I have made a number of the Winery Series (not the Valpo). You will not be disappointed. They are great.

I have not made either of those kits but if you stay on the upper end of the RJS brand I think youll be loving them.

Found that staying with the higher end kits for WE was the way to go as well. Did have a couple of middle of the road kits I did early with good results. Based on reading the board it sounds like RJ is very comparable.

I think RJS is way better myself. That being said I dont really make an non-grape skin kits.

Way better. I like that. Will say the WE Super Tuscan and the Amarone are pretty tasty. Haven't had the opportunity to try the RJ but if they are better as you say I am going to have a long 6 months + of torture.

You really need to make the RJS Winery Series Super Tuscan and do a side by side comparison!

mazzum said:
Found that staying with the higher end kits for WE was the way to go as well. Did have a couple of middle of the road kits I did early with good results. Based on reading the board it sounds like RJ is very comparable.

There are 2 10L kits in the WE lineup that I like, the WV Trinity Red and the VR Mezza Luna Red. I opened 3 bottles of the latter at 7 months old last night at a party and they were very well received. Very fruit forward, but no off flavors, some spice and a decent amount of tannin. The MLR got a month in a new barrel and I did add some Zante currants to the primary. I have been making only high end kits lately. I just tried the MLR because I needed something to fill in a gap in the barrel break-in and I wanted to compare to a 15L WE Luna Rossa.

I also prefer RJS to WE. Most of my kit wines have been WE only because thats what all the local places carry. I have to admit even with the whites, there is a big difference between a mid and high range kit.

Starting a Brunello and a Super Tuscan this week. It may be a while but if I can hold onto the 2 bottles of WE Super Tuscan until the RJS SuperTuscan ages I will give a comparison. Really loved the WE SuperTuscan. Very balanced and great fruit with enough but not overpowering tannins. It is my favorite of about 18 kits so far. The 2 RJS I just bottled are still very young but I can really taste the potential. Have already read great things about the Tuscan. We will see.

I made the RJS Winery Series Super Tuscan about 28 months ago. I kept my hands off 6 bottles and It got alot better. I mean much better. I gave my wife a glass without telling her it was mine. She took a drink and asked by which $50 commercial wine I opened from Walla Walla.(We go there every year) This wine is the best wine I have ever made and I have made 40 plus kits. It was good to drink after the 1 year mark too, but OMG wait till the 28th month. I have another one going and it's 13 months old now.

Yep, I believe it my be the second best kit out there. The best kit wine Ive ever tasted has to be a MM Meglioli Barolo. It was actually the second best wine Ive ever had. The first was a Petite Syrah that a friend of mine made and oaked in a nice barrel.

Mark, I am a huge fan of the Winery Series in general and the Super Tuscan in particular. I have one in bulk aging right now and another that I have not started.
If I can save enough money, I will try the Meglioli Barolo that Wade mentions.

Latest posts

Back