New Member - Ontario Canada (landlocked)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chad J.

Junior
Reaction score
Greetings everyone,

Thank you all for the time and energy invested into this forum - it's been insightful to say the least.

I've recently taken on a newly planted vineyard to bring it to establishment. I'm a long time grower but new to grape vines. We have 2 acres of Marquette planted in 2021, an acre of Baco Noir in 2021, an acre of Frontenac in 2022 and a half acre of both Castel and Seyve Villard 23-512 in 2022. We got slammed with an early frost mid Oct last year, as well as a late frost May 20 this year, but we're pushing ahead nevertheless. For that reason, no vinifera yet.

We pushed a crop on our 2yo Marquette, despite concerns, and are up to 14% average. What's the verdict for processing 2yo fruiting vines? Seems to me there just isn't enough maturity in the grape, and the energy is better spent in vine establishment. But first fruits are enticing aren't they? I mean the sirens did have beautiful voices...

Welcome to WMT!

I'm not a grape grower, but a long time winemaker. I've been told that 5 years is the first good harvest, and 7 years is better.

Post questions in the grape growers forum. There are many growers who will offer you advice.

It was recommended to me by several growers to pull all clusters the first to years and allow a limited harvest in year three. Next year is number three for my Marquette and Petite Pearl! I can’t wait

I’ve also read several growers who feel grapes from older vines make better wine

Hello fellow Ontarian!

Where did you source Castel from? I haven't seen it for sale in Ontario.

Also what led you to plant Seyve Villard 23-512? I've been interested in Seyve-Villard 18-315 (Villard Noir) if only because it's a permitted grape for VQA wines .. that said I've never found anyone who produced a Villard wine 😅

Hello fellow Ontarian!

Where did you source Castel from? I haven't seen it for sale in Ontario.

Also what led you to plant Seyve Villard 23-512? I've been interested in Seyve-Villard 18-315 (Villard Noir) if only because it's a permitted grape for VQA wines .. that said I've never found anyone who produced a Villard wine 😅
Hey there neighbor-

We purchased all of our varieties from VineTech Canada Inc. However, we'll be pulling out the Castel and SV as survival was under 40%. They will be replaced with another acre of Frontenac for something more resilient and to consolidate varieties.

Can't say that I've come across a Villard Noir label either. Which region are you in?

Ah, sorry to hear about the low survival rates on those vines. Did they die due to a cold winter?

I'm in PEC so winters aren't too bad here, just a bit colder than Niagara.

Personally I've found Frontenac a bit hard to manage, it's really vigorous at my location but maybe it'd do better grafted to a root stock that reduces vigour.

We have 2 acres of Marquette planted in 2021, an acre of Baco Noir in 2021, an acre of Frontenac in 2022 and a half acre of both Castel and Seyve Villard 23-512 in 2022. We got slammed with an early frost mid Oct last year, as well as a late frost May 20 this year, but we're pushing ahead nevertheless. For that reason, no vinifera yet.

Welcome aboard and welcome to the world of viticulture. I have both Marquette and Baco Noir in the Appalachian Mountains of Virginia. The Marquette are slammed EVERY year by frost. They break way too early despite all my efforts and practices. I am considering moving them to a less frost prone area of the vineyard. The Baco is not producing heavily but improving (planted in 2020). I let them hang too long this year and the fruit went to raisins in a hurry. If I didn't have so much time and money in both varieties I would pull them out. Both make stellar wines so I plough on. We get frost as early as October 1 and as late as May 15 or May 30.

I have a couple vinifera vines but they are pitiful; the cold and late frosts are just devastating. I grow vinifera in a Northeastern Virginia plot.

I don't have any Frontenac, I hear the acid levels are super high and I'm fighting high acid with my reds - primarily Chambourcin and Chelois. Both are performing well for me. I also have some Marchal Foch and Leon Millot. They break early too but slightly later than Marquette.

I'm still looking for a reliable late breaking white. My Chardonel are struggling. The Vidal and Caygua are doing a little better and the Traminette is best so far.

Good luck. Farming is hard work and cold climate viticulture is extra hard.

Latest posts

Back