new innovations for sediment removal

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesngalveston

Reaction score
Sediment concerns me.
I left a 1 gallon carboy just sit after fermentation..There was almost 1 1/2 of sediment in the bottom after only a few months.. That takes up valuable space in my thoughts.
1 1/2 inch of sediment x 360 degrees times one degree of 1 logarithm means I lost 2.4 cups of wine, almost 20 oz, from displacement.
1.5 x 360 x .01745 x liquid equal.
which means you have to top off...lots.
I have contracted a blow mold mfg to build an inverted bottle with air lock on top, a flow valve on bottom, with 3 screen filters, (replaceable) and a center weighted air tight drop tube to compensate for the loss of space due to sediment.
So what ever waste you toss... You add that volume of water to compensate for the waste.. Meaning...you dont have to top off. And the water never contacts the wine.
Just add water to the air tight center tube.
Any how...I am working on it. Will post results...

Or you could simply start with 1.2 gallons...much easier and WAY cheaper.

However, conical fermentors are readily available. They are similar to your design.

thats cool vacuumpumpman and thinking out the box...like myself..
my carboy is 2 peices. the top screws down on to the bottom with and o ring to make a tight seal...like a swimming pool filter.
the water insert can be filled and dropped in the carboy.
and you could use it as a primary if you remove the top to add ingredients.
thanks for replys.

Sediment concerns me.
I left a 1 gallon carboy just sit after fermentation..There was almost 1 1/2 of sediment in the bottom after only a few months.. That takes up valuable space in my thoughts.
1 1/2 inch of sediment x 360 degrees times one degree of 1 logarithm means I lost 2.4 cups of wine, almost 20 oz, from displacement.
1.5 x 360 x .01745 x liquid equal.
which means you have to top off...lots.
I have contracted a blow mold mfg to build an inverted bottle with air lock on top, a flow valve on bottom, with 3 screen filters, (replaceable) and a center weighted air tight drop tube to compensate for the loss of space due to sediment.
So what ever waste you toss... You add that volume of water to compensate for the waste.. Meaning...you dont have to top off. And the water never contacts the wine.
Just add water to the air tight center tube.
Any how...I am working on it. Will post results...

sounds interesting...

I think there is something to this. I shocked my wine and I sampled it a week later. It tasted so good I bottled it! A vast improvement from the sample I tasted prior to shocking.

I think there is something to this. I shocked my wine and I sampled it a week later. It tasted so good I bottled it! A vast improvement from the sample I tasted prior to shocking.

Can you go into more detail about shocking your wine ??

I had a friend that did this to remove rust from car parts would put the car part in water then used a battery charger connected to the car part and one lead to a stainless rod and put it in the water not in contact with the car part. Would change the voltage 6 or 12 depending on the type of metal. Said it worked great. Sounds cool .

vacuumpumpman said:
Can you go into more detail about shocking your wine ??

Per jamesngalveston's idea I got a 12v transformer (found at RadioShack for $8). Then wire extension cord to transformer then run 1 wire to the switch and out with the end exposed (connected to transformer output). Run another wire directly from the transformer leaving the end exposed. Dip the exposed wires in the wine plug in extension cord and throw the switch. I have only left the rig running for a second, literally.

Be safe

I am not encouraging anyone to do anything ...I merely stated what we did.
Do not put your self in harms way for nothing.
Electricity and any liquid can be dangerous......
please be carefull liquid and electric can be fatal....
12 volt alternating current...hummmm

I have read some studies on electricity and aging and made an educated decision to try it. I would use extreme caution when doing this. None of the studies are very definitive on introducing a current to the wine it self. This rapid aging can be done effectively through transferring the wine through a glass tube past a magnetic field rather than shocking it.

May want to research for yourself before attempting to go all out shocking!

What is it about a magnetic field that ages the wine? How strong does the field need to be? What is the evidence that magnetic fields have any measurable effect?

Per jamesngalveston's idea I got a 12v transformer (found at RadioShack for $8). Then wire extension cord to transformer then run 1 wire to the switch and out with the end exposed (connected to transformer output). Run another wire directly from the transformer leaving the end exposed. Dip the exposed wires in the wine plug in extension cord and throw the switch. I have only left the rig running for a second, literally.

Be safe

Your transformer likely converted 120 VAC to 12 VDC. Most do. There is little chance of hazard or injury using 12VDC current. Did you see the snowing effect James mentioned?

Back