New Child @ the home. Starting Vines!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rshosted

Reaction score
Ok. As I mentioned in other posts. I ran across a wonderful person at a local fruit stand who vacations in Italy (Tuscany area). She 'brought back' somehow??
smiley4.gif
some starter vines. She has planted them a few years ago, and they've grown wonderfully here (in Utah). She gave me a few starter shoots. I have never had a green thumb but plan to add these to my mini-vineyard if they turn out. Here's what' I'm doing. Please, anyone with knowledge look over this and let me know if I'm making a huge mistake. I'll try to keep you all posted on what I run into. I've read several different links but had limited information (for my likes).

Here's the new babys at home cut off a dormant vine today (not by me but they each have several nodes and some are green in the middle where cut... others weren't:

2006-01-22_232322_012206_Brunello_Di_Montalcino_Tuscany_Italy_Starter_Vine_Dormant_001.jpg

Some of the centers where I cut...
2006-01-22_232420_012206_Brunello_Di_Montalcino_Tuscany_Italy_Starter_Vine_Dormant_005.jpg

One of the nodes up close:
2006-01-22_232455_012206_Brunello_Di_Montalcino_Tuscany_Italy_Starter_Vine_Dormant_007.jpg

Becuase winter is so cold here, I've read when plants go dormant they lose moisture. I decided to put them in water. I dipped the ends of them in Root Hormone:
2006-01-22_232531_012206_Brunello_Di_Montalcino_Tuscany_Italy_Starter_Vine_Dormant_010.jpg

After more reading, I learned that a few nodes need to go below the dirt and one or two above. The ones below turn into roots, the one above turns into wood:
2006-01-22_232756_012206_Brunello_Di_Montalcino_Tuscany_Italy_Starter_Vine_Dormant_026.jpg

Here's what I'm planning to put them into after letting them 'soak' overnight. I also picked up some 'full spectrum' 48" floresent bulbs and a heat pad. I'll be putting the heat pad below the pot with the new potting soil. I'll leave the light on 24/7 until I get ready to move them out to my "vinyard". (if they even grow at all).

2006-01-22_233056_012206_Brunello_Di_Montalcino_Tuscany_Italy_Starter_Vine_Dormant_023.jpg

Hope that answers some questions. Feel free to offer suggestions... I'm known for missing subtle (read: major) points.
smiley2.gif

Oh yeah, I was sworn to secrecy regarding with vinyard these vines really came from. But I have researched it and found the bottle are selling for $50-135 american.
smiley15.gif

Also, put the light on a timer, about 16-18 hours of light, darkness is needed to develop roots.You probably don't need a heat pad, cool is good for root development, the light will put off some heat. A clear plastic bag would give the new shoots better light as well.Good Luck!!!
smiley1.gif
Edited by: Northern Winos

Thanks NW. I didn't have any clear bags, but will be heading to the store today. Thanks for the timer tip, I was planning on leaving them on 24/7. Now I know to change that now(makes sense).

The reason I as thinking the heat pad is becuase I'll probably keep them in my basement which is about 60-65 consitantly. I didn't think that the floresent would put off much heat that way. Everything I have read says keeping the dirt warm with sunlight being emulated will 'encourage' them more...
smiley23.gif
???

Bilbo, the grapes are Brunello. They were created in Tuscany Italy. My 'source'
smiley2.gif
said she put them into her socks to get them back. Here's a quote from a web site about them:
They are a clone of a Sangiovese...Clemente Biondi-Santi selected in his Montalcino vineyard. He
named it in honour of the town as Brunello (the little brown one) di
Montalcino.
(</span>BTW, that isn't the vinyard they were 'borrowed' from)

</span></span>I'm hoping they will grow here as well. I do have some Cab Sav and Merlot already planted in my backyard on vine trellis. The only thing that worries me is they won't have a long enough growing season here in Utah. I was assured they are very sweet by my 'source'
smiley2.gif
, but when your shooting for 23-25 brix you have to know a little more than 'just sweet'. Either way, I'm beyond excited to start these.
</span>
Edited by: rshosted

Probably your basement is pretty cool, but watch out for them drying out with a heat pad. If you could put a little plastic tent around the fixture and maybe put a piece of Styrofoam over the heat pad and under your tray, might moderate the heat a bit and protect your heating pad.
And, if they don't root, try again in the spring. Ask her for all the vines she might throw out when she prunes the vines in the spring.
Ask her also to maybe leave a few sucker vines at the bottoms of the plants that you might bury near the plant to catch root by layering.
Don't expect miracles, some of these cuttings might root...that's the miracle...if they don't....then go on from there.....try again at different times of the year. Expect to wait 6-8 weeks for any bud break....sometimes you'll see roots coming out the pot drain hole before you see any leaves.....
Have fun in your venture...you now have the equipment....enjoy.
smiley4.gif

Northern, you seem to know about propagating vines and I appreciate that, but I spent the day yesturday reading about this and everything I read says to keep the root (soil) temp to around 80 degrees (F). What would be the reason to not heat the soil? Again, I appreciate the fact that you seem to know a lot about this, when I get ready to do it, I'll now know who to ask questions
smiley32.gif

Guess my room where I grow stuff is at least 80* or so. Sometimes when you put a heat source underneath, like a heat mat, heat tape or heat pad you might tend to dry things out a bit faster than you realize. So, just keep an eye on them and don't let them dry out.
smiley1.gif

Ah! You are correct, I did read where prolong heat will dry the root. I read so much about it it's hard to remember ifwhat I read would be wrong to do or right to do. I also remember (keep in mind remembering anything these days is sort of a mile stone in itself
smiley36.gif
) reading to keep about an inch of water in a shallow pan beneath the pot with soil in it........ Took me a while to think about ways to heat the soil in an inch or so of water with a heating blanket (as described in one article). I have tried rooting plants with bark, and some without (rasberries) with no luck in getting anything to grow.

I have a small creek (ditch) behind by house on the property border and am wondering if I get some cuttings if I could just stick them into the sides of the banks that always stay moist to wet. It's a somewhat shady area that gets more late afternoon direct sunlight. Do you think this would work?

I have a small creek (ditch) behind by house on the property border and am wondering if I get some cuttings if I could just stick them into the sides of the banks that always stay moist to wet.  It's a somewhat shady area that gets more late afternoon direct sunlight.  Do you think this would work?[/QUOTE]

You could for sure root some willows on the creek bank, don't know about grapes.If you get a lot of vines try laying a long vine with dirt over some of the nodes...give it a try...you never know till you try.

Latest posts

Back