New chapter: ph and acid testing.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

REDBOATNY

Reaction score
First of all I want to thank everyone for the great information on this sight.
I finally broke down and purchased a ph meter. Went with the Milwaukee mw102 as per Runningwolfs kudos.

So $140 later, I have buffers, cleaning solution,storing solution, reagent. I have beakers and pipet and graduated syringes on order, another $30.

I decided to try and test some samples today, and all went smooth. Thanks to the great step by step info on this sight.

All said and done, the (4) wines I tested were all well within the parameters suggested here. Both ph and ta. There is alot to be said about seat of the pants winemaking. Did I waste my money? Just get lucky? or have good teachers? Maybe some of each, but now I know more about the wine I am making and the hobby I love.

Thanks

What wines exactly did you test? From grapes, juice buckets, fruiut wines or kits? Sometimes all the #'s just fall into place and sometimes yopu strugle to even just get them close to acceptable!!!!!!!!!!!!! Trust me you did not waste your money, you will need some serious adjusting soon! What did you use to learn, some of the written directions or some of the videos I posted?

Wade
Three of the wines were bulk juice from a local grower/wine shop. Traminette,DeChaunac and Riesling.
Also spiced apple from a local cider mill.
The fifth was a cranberry from a combination of fruit in a can and fresh.
I read everything and watch the vidios so It is all good.

Even the cranberry was withing TA? Thats a little surprising! Thats usually pretty high in acid. What was the recipe you used for that?

Here is the cranberry recipe I used Wade. It is the best so far, I have been trying for a few years, all were ok but not exceptional. Time will tell for this one.

1 10# can vinters harvest cranberry
3# frozen and crushed cranberries
3 gallons spring water
8# sugar
1.5 tsp yeast neutrient
1tsp pectin enzyme
1tsp. yeast energizer
<1/4 kmeta
poured 1 gallon boiling water over fruit bag
added remaining water
waited 24 hours pitched Pastuar red yeast at 21.5 brix
removed bag at 4 days , 12 brix