new 1st batch appears very dark?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hamy

Reaction score
Hi, even though my first try with a Kenridge Shiraz kit is drinkable (even in these early days- bottled Feb 2nd) It looks very dark compared with a shop bought red wine. It is also almost too rich in flavour?

Are these the things that will improve with age?

I have a Beaverdale Cab Sav on the 2nd fermentation and will start a Borolo tommorrow but could do with any tips on improveing a young wine OR do I just have to wait?

DSCF5786.jpg

DSCF5788.jpg

Hamy, I see what you mean by the darkness vs. the store-bought wine. It usually works the other way, i.e. the kit wine is lighter than the store-bought. Because of the color and the rich flavor you describe, it would almost appear that not enough water was added at the start. What were your starting and final SGs? As for changing with age, I would expect that the flavor would become more pronounced with time.

Hi, even though my first try with a Kenridge Shiraz kit is drinkable (even in these early days- bottled Feb 2nd) It looks very dark compared with a shop bought red wine. It is also almost too rich in flavour?

Are these the things that will improve with age?

I have a Beaverdale Cab Sav on the 2nd fermentation and will start a Borolo tommorrow but could do with any tips on improveing a young wine OR do I just have to wait?

It might just be the camera (and perhaps the flash?) but that store bought Shiraz seems a little lighter than the ones I've had. At least, if you hadn't told me what it was, I would not have guessed it was a Shiraz. I imagine there are some lighter colored Shiraz wines out there, just like you can find some rather dark Pinot Noir.

In the end, though, are you not happy with the taste of your Shiraz? I would think the flavor would only improve with time as you haven't even had it bottled a month yet.

I agree the store bought wine looks like a very very light wine for a Shiraz!!!!!!!!!!!! IMO the kit came out to where it should be and the commercial looks more like a Rose!

Thanks for the replies.

I am happy with my first attempt but it tastes a lot different to my usual bargain basement shop bought wines :) I am slowly getting through it but still find myself going for a bought bottle first.

I will leave it as advised for a while longer to see if it develops that "missing" taste, whatever that is?

I made this exactly to the instructions that came with it including water quantity etc.

The readings were Day 1 Primary 1090, Day 8 Secondary 996, Day 20 degassing 994, Day 22 stabilizing and clarification 994, Day 28 bottled, Day 28 pm drinking!

Thanks for the replies.

I am happy with my first attempt but it tastes a lot different to my usual bargain basement shop bought wines :) I am slowly getting through it but still find myself going for a bought bottle first.

I will leave it as advised for a while longer to see if it develops that "missing" taste, whatever that is?

I made this exactly to the instructions that came with it including water quantity etc.

The readings were Day 1 Primary 1090, Day 8 Secondary 996, Day 20 degassing 994, Day 22 stabilizing and clarification 994, Day 28 bottled, Day 28 pm drinking!

How's that bottle shock taste? lol

The taste can only improve with age. If you can help it, wait at least a few months before you try it again.

:b

Didnt even notice that Johnny!!! Thats funny. This wine is very very young and will keep improving for years to come.

I bottled a Kenridge Classic Cabernet/Shiraz in August and it took fully 3 months before the fruit flavors came out, and the newy/chemical taste of fermentation subsided. Now at 6 months its quite good. It is however very oaky, and maybe a little bitter becuase of all the oak. I also Bottled a KR Classic Cabernet Sauvignon on Dec 18. I gave my dad half and his is almost gone, but I won't even open my first one until the 3 month mark. I did taste his last weekend and it is still too young to drink, barely any fruit showing yet.
The reason I mention this is because I'm still learning about aging myself and I imagine the KR Classic shiraz would be similar to the 2 I bottled. My guess is the 3-4 month mark is when the wine character you are looking for will show up. Try tasting a bottle every couple weeks until then and you will be able to see for yourself how the wine changes and will appreciate waiting. In the meantime I put on a couple early drinkers, Blackberry Malbec so I have something to drink while my other stuff ages a bit.

Thanks again for the replies.

Now going to stuff the remaining bottles in the cupboard for 8 weeks and try it again then.

Having trouble explaining to my wife that all this money spent so far is an investment. I now see I have to build a backlog of wine to make it worthwhile. Coming home with a couple of bottles a day and buying kits is working out a bit expensive.

Got a Beaverdale Cab Sav ready to bottle next week and a Borolo mid March ..so will have to get through those whilst waiting for my beloved Kenridge Shiraz!:)

Cheers

Latest posts

Back