Never underestimate single-celled microorganisms of the fungus kingdom!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bearpaw8491

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kicked off my first batch of elderflower wine this morning and decided to use Montrachet yeast as specified in the recipe.

Rummaging around in my yeast stash I found the only packet of Montrachet I had but was surprised when I saw the date - the yeast was almost 10 yrs old!!

I generally start my wines by making a yeast starter and figured since the packet was destined for “File 13” anyway, why not give it a chance. If it wasn’t active, I had time for a quick trip to my LHBS before I needed to pitch the yeast tomorrow.

To my shock and utter amazement, the yeast was alive and apparently happy & well showing all signs of healthy activity in the first 2 hrs of rehydration! It had been in the crisper section of the fridge all this time.

The rehydration is going strong and I’ll pitch first thing in the morning. Just goes to show ya never underestimate yeast.

Considering changing my name to Montrachet and living in my refrigerator; figure I could possibly make it to 1,000!!!

Here’s a picture of the packet.

IMG_4235.jpeg

Kicked off my first batch of elderflower wine this morning and decided to use Montrachet yeast as specified in the recipe.

Rummaging around in my yeast stash I found the only packet of Montrachet I had but was surprised when I saw the date - the yeast was almost 10 yrs old!!

I generally start my wines by making a yeast starter and figured since the packet was destined for “File 13” anyway, why not give it a chance. If it wasn’t active, I had time for a quick trip to my LHBS before I needed to pitch the yeast tomorrow.

To my shock and utter amazement, the yeast was alive and apparently happy & well showing all signs of healthy activity in the first 2 hrs of rehydration! It had been in the crisper section of the fridge all this time.

The rehydration is going strong and I’ll pitch first thing in the morning. Just goes to show ya never underestimate yeast.

Considering changing my name to Montrachet and living in my refrigerator; figure I could possibly make it to 1,000!!!

Here’s a picture of the packet.

View attachment 102508
Using a starter means never having to throw away good yeast!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back