negative pressure in airlock

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buddy

Reaction score
I have a chokecherry wine that is bulk aging in a 23 liter carboy. I hope to keep it there for another 4 months but because I have a set back thermostat for my furnace I am noticing that when the house is cool the airlock pressure is negative and one or two air bubbles are introduced into the carboy every day.
Would this amount of air be detrimental to the wine or is this similar to the micro oxygenation that you would get from a wine cork?
I'm thinking that perhaps I should be using a solid bung rather than an airlock.
Any thoughts or ideas?
Thanks.

You are fine. What is in the airlock, water, vodka or a meta solution?
What you see is the air presure changing. Any way to keep it in a area a little more consistant temp?

The water in the airlock has a few sulphite crystals added to it.
The carboy is in the coolest part of the house but is still affected by the daily temperature changes.
The wine in this carboy has been stabilized but I have another carboy of the same type of wine that is currently undergoing a malo-lactic fermentation. For it I created a micro climate by keeping it in a large enclosed box with a small heater to keep the temperature at 22C (72F) but I am afraid that this temperature is too warm for bulk aging my other carboy.

Mlf is better at a warm temp. Aging is best if there is not a "big" temp difference. The cooler the wine the longer you need to age.

Latest posts

Back