Need tip on exhausting odor from primary?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkTX

Junior
Reaction score
This is one of those "I want to know for next time" questions.

Has anyone figured out how to minimize / capture / vent a strong smell coming off of primary bucket fermentation? I only had towels over the buckets to let in air so the odor was permeating.

I was fermenting 24 lbs of diced fresh peaches & 6 lb bananas in two nylon bags in 2 primary buckets to make 6 gallons. There are no basements here so my master bathroom big oval tub is where I ferment. The bathroom window does not open & the 2 exhaust fans were on 24/7. The very active fermentation "pungent aroma" of peaches turning into wine was borderline overwhelming. This was not a rotten egg smell. I punched down the nylon bags often & added more yeast nutrient just to get the primary over and done with.

If it wasn't in the 90s outside, these would have gone in the garage.

Now I can breath easy as secondary has slowed to a nice bubble & sg of .997.

Normally I enjoy the aroma of wine fermenting. Peaches are apparently a different aroma I was not prepared for.

In retrospect (or if I ever find another great price on peaches) is there a simple way to vent a primary to an exhaust fan? A loose lid ported with a pvc pipe?

Thanks - Mark

ps - I am using a combined jack keller / ec kraus peach wine recipe.

Don't know about the airlock as a scrubber, got that Forza kit going full tilt and I have the wonderful aroma of yeast and oak permeating the whole house, including the basement where I'm at.

If the aroma is too strong, would freezing the fruit and waiting till fall or winter help when ambient temperatures are a little lower? I did a white grape peach in late winter/early spring when the temps in my basement were in the lower 60's and the aroma was not at all offensive. Just a thought.

Back