Need HELP!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eduk8or

Reaction score
Okay, so I started an Island Mist kit and it is now in the secondary. When I started the secondary I put in 4 lbs of sugar to up the alcohol content. Well that was 2 weeks ago and it is still fermenting. When i give the carboy a little shake, it bubbles like crazy.

So, here is my situation, I just found out that I have to suddenly move and I need to speed this up and get this wine bottled. How do I speed up so I can go ahead and add the last of the ingredients for the final racking. Is there a way to stop this fermentation?

Thanks for the help!

What is your SG? It may be pretty well done fermenting. When you shake the carboy, it releases trapped CO2 and that causes the bubbles. You get rid of them in the degassing stage. First step- take a SG and see if it is in the target range and stable for min 2 days. If so you can proceed to the next steps. How long before you move?

Stopping a fermentation is difficult at best and not really a good option.

What is the current SG and temperature of the batch? Raising the temperature to the high end of the range (75 degrees) will help speed things up a bit to complete the fermentation. Using SuperKleer K.C. instead of the isinglass that came with the kit might also help speed up the clearing stage.

How do I take the SG when the wine is in the large glass carboy? Do i just drop it in?

You need a wine theif and a plasic or glass tall container. all must be sterilized. If you have to move it , do like George did when he had a boil over on some test kits, and put the carboy inside the fermenter bucket to catch the mess. I believe you added the sugar in the carboy(?) This should have been done in the primary, and It does go for several extra days beyond the instructions. This will depend on how warm you keep it.

PWP is right........ (what else could I say)?>..........................

Seriously, she is, I use a turkey baster all the time and fill the plastic tube up that the Hdrometer came in, then clean and sanitize when done, quick and easey.................

Unfortunately only about half that plastic tube makes it back into the carboy..................Edited by: jobe05

I would think if you are in a pinch you could drop the hydrometer in the carboy as long as you kept the headspaceshort when you racked it. by adding the hydrometer to it should displace the wine enough that you could get a reading andretrieve it with your fingers. but the easiest way is to get a wine thief. #5432 works great for us.

Latest posts

Back