need help ahead of first pressing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yakhunter

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am expecting my first batch of whole grapes (cab. sauv.) any day know. I have help with the crushing, but I am going to be pressing solo on a borrowed basket press. I have not even seen it yet and it has not been used in years. What should I look for to make sure it is functional, and clean? Should I wash it first? With what?

It was bought off an old Italian man who always made his own wine, but was getting too old...My friend bought it and has been storing it in a warehouse.

I can't wait to jump into this new endeavor. I have only made wine from juice and a kit.

Thanks in advance.

OK,

You need to inspect this press, especially for rust and the condition of any wooden parts.

You most definitely need to clean it. I would start by wire-brushing any rust, then I would scrub the whole thing using dish soap, then I would rinse the crap out of it.

After all of this, if the press looks clean, I would then use PBW for further clean it, follow up with some star san. Do all of this ahead of time.

Once you are ready to press, rinse down the whole thing with k-meta solution.

JohnT said:
OK,

You need to inspect this press, especially for rust and the condition of any wooden parts.

You most definitely need to clean it. I would start by wire-brushing any rust, then I would scrub the whole thing using dish soap, then I would rinse the crap out of it.

After all of this, if the press looks clean, I would then use PBW for further clean it, follow up with some star san. Do all of this ahead of time.

Once you are ready to press, rinse down the whole thing with k-meta solution.

Use non-scented dish soap for heavy cleaning.

There is a food safe paint that can be used on bare steel. For the screw, spray with cooking oil after use.

Thanks for the tips. View attachment 8585

Hoping these pics come through. As you can see it is a #50! It is HUGE. Probably too big for the 108 lbs of grapes I bought. It is in very good condition. A little surface rust on the threaded pole, and a little bit of chipped paint on the tray. ANy thoughts as to how much I should do to it? Also, AmI correct in assuming that this is too big to use on a 6 gal batch?

View attachment 8586
DSC04134.jpg

DSC04138.jpg

DSC04137.jpg

DSC04151.jpg

DSC04152.jpg

DSC04141.jpg

We used some old couch pillows soaked in water to simulate the grapes.

The first two did not come through the first time. DSC04131.jpg

DSC04132.jpg

Believe it or not, my friend bought this for $75!! That's seventy-five!

Helloooooo?

You guys mad at me? I psted these cool pictures and was hoping for some advice on what I need to do to this monster before I press.

1. DO I need to repaint the pan? There is a little paint chipping. Oak looks good and no mold. Can I just hit it with K-Meta? Long threaded pole has surface rust only. Can I just clean it off and let it be or should I put some veg oil or something on it.

2. Is this too big to use for a measly 6 gal. batch of grapes (108 lbs.)? Can I get away with just using a crapload of blocks to keep the ratchet above the basket or is this really too big to effectively press such a small batch?

Thanks in advance and I am sorry I "bumped" my own topic if that is rude. Pitched the yeast on the Cab Sauv grapes last night.

Yak,

Yesterday being Fathers Day was a slow day on WMT. Most people were busy with Family as they should have been.

That said this press looks to be in very good condition. Yes, its BIG if your only going to do ~100lbs it will swallow it up and laugh at you saying "that all you got?" You may need to find some more 2x2 Pressure Blocks if you don't have much fruit in there. You can make them yourself or buy online.

I would wash it with soap and water first (Dawn), rinse it off really well, then soak it in a large enough bucket with 5G of Iodophor solution. If you want to paint it Presque Isle has food grade paint, they also have food grade lubricant if needed. All in all in looks to be in very good shape and should work out well, especially if you decide to make bigger batches!

Your #50 press is in a whole lot better shape then I expected. Wood looks in good condition. I would still clean the heck out of it.

yakhunter said:
You guys mad at me? I psted these cool pictures and was hoping for some advice on what I need to do to this monster before I press.

1. DO I need to repaint the pan? There is a little paint chipping. Oak looks good and no mold. Can I just hit it with K-Meta? Long threaded pole has surface rust only. Can I just clean it off and let it be or should I put some veg oil or something on it.

2. Is this too big to use for a measly 6 gal. batch of grapes (108 lbs.)? Can I get away with just using a crapload of blocks to keep the ratchet above the basket or is this really too big to effectively press such a small batch?

Thanks in advance and I am sorry I "bumped" my own topic if that is rude. Pitched the yeast on the Cab Sauv grapes last night.

For your pressing, clean the rust off the screw and any rust on the pan. After your pressing, spray on some vegetable oil or use good grade paint. Sanitize the whole press prior to pressing.

Blocks, yes, use as many blocks as you need.

Latest posts

Back