Need advise ASAP

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thaiad24

Junior
Reaction score
Im buying a red wine kit tomorrow and need to know what to buy, i usually am far too inpatient to age (for over even a month so), I want to know a half decent kit, maybe shiraz, rioja? or mezza luna red?

price wise about £50 or $70

i need advice from those people who , like me, drink their wine 2 - 6 weeks after racking off for the last time

cheers

Personally I dont think any red wine would be ready that early. That being said Ive heard the W.E. Trinity red is a good early drinker.

buy two kits and an extra carboy. Start one kit, get it going and once in the secondary, start the second kit. Drink the first one young and let the other one age. Once both are in bottles, start a third. Keep enough wine on hand so some of it ages while you drink thru the first batch. If you keep enough going alll the time, you will soon find you have a nice collection of aged wines and you'll find how rewarding this hobby is.

thanks for the quick replies, anyone else got any suggestions of what brand kit?
When I ran a Ferment on Premises, the Ken Ridge Classic Merlot was the favourite of "the drink it quickly" crowd. The California Connoisseur Merlot (same manufacturer, but a little less expensive) was second.

From your price range, I would guess that you are in the UK. AFAIK, both of these kits are available in the UK (but not so much in the USA). UK pricing? I haven't a clue.

It would help us to respond if we knew for certain where you lived (at least region). You can do this by completing the Location field in the Control Panel. Note this is a good suggestion for everybody.

Steve

Last edited:
When I ran a Ferment on Premises, the Ken Ridge Classic Merlot was the favourite of "the drink it quickly" crowd. The California Connoisseur Merlot (same manufacturer, but a little less expensive) was second.

From your price range, I would guess that you are in the UK. AFAIK, both of these kits are available in the UK (but not so much in the USA). UK pricing? I haven't a clue.

It would help us to respond if we knew for certain where you lived (at least region). You can do this by completing the Location field in the Control Panel. Note this is a good suggestion for everybody.

Steve

thanks mate : )

Ive found Kenridge for about £46 so I could get that, I hear that the Beaverdale is quite good a few weeks after clearing also.

there are so many at this price range , beaverdale, vinters, world vineyard, Kenridge etc... i suppose they all will be about the same quality.

so now i just gotta decide what kind of wine!

Whats the most commonly liked homebrew red wine? as im going to be sharing it with plenty of people

cheers

Adam

Last edited:
Adam:

Just to clarify...my post doesn't say any old Ken Ridge Classic red kit, it says Ken Ridge Classic Merlot. Why? Because customer feedback was that the Merlot is ready to drink quickly, the others (eg Barolo, Vieux Chateau du Roi, Shiraz, Cabernet Sauvignon) were reported to need more time.

I had a couple of customers who would make the Merlot and another red. Then they would drink the Merlot while the other one aged.

Steve

Adam:

Just to clarify...my post doesn't say any old Ken Ridge Classic red kit, it says Ken Ridge Classic Merlot. Why? Because customer feedback was that the Merlot is ready to drink quickly, the others (eg Barolo, Vieux Chateau du Roi, Shiraz, Cabernet Sauvignon) were reported to need more time.

I had a couple of customers who would make the Merlot and another red. Then they would drink the Merlot while the other one aged.

Steve

thanks for the info Steve, much appreciated : )

Im gonna get the Kenridge Merlot and see how it goes : )

I did a cheaper Aus blend merlot kit last time and it was not too bad so ill see how the extra £20 makes a difference

just for future reference, in your personal experience, if I were to age a batch of red, whats the most commonly liked type? merlot, rioja etc...

cheers

FWIW I would get a three gallon carboy tomorrow. Follow instructions till bottling. Then bottle half and age half another six months. I would consider any of the 15 - 18 ltr non grapepack kits.

just for future reference, in your personal experience, if I were to age a batch of red, whats the most commonly liked type? merlot, rioja etc...

cheers
On the forums...Amarone. Needs a good two years plus.

Personal opinion...make what you like (or think you'll like), and age it. Then age it some more. The reds I'm drinking are mostly 3+ years old. I make Shiraz, Merlot mostly.

Rioja is rarely mentioned on the forums. Not sure if there are any kits currently available. I recall that Vineco discontinued their Calif Conn Rioja 3 or 4 years ago.

Steve

Latest posts

Back