Need Advice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AidenHalle

Junior
Reaction score
Hi, this is my first time ever making wine :S I am using a kit ( VE Italian Chardonnay). I am in the secondary fermentation stage and my SG reading in .990 and I am wondering.... is it okay to just leave it for a few more days? Does it help the aging process at all or is this a no-no? I have tons of patience but because this is soo new to me, i want to do things properly.

Thanks a bunch!

Hi, this is my first time ever making wine :S I am using a kit ( VE Italian Chardonnay). I am in the secondary fermentation stage and my SG reading in .990 and I am wondering.... is it okay to just leave it for a few more days? Does it help the aging process at all or is this a no-no? I have tons of patience but because this is soo new to me, i want to do things properly.

Thanks a bunch!

First of all, Welcome!

You should be fine as long as you have it under airlock.

Hi- and Thank You!!

Is there any benefit to leaving it sit in this stage longer?

If it sets too long, the lees can have a detrimental effect on the wine.

There is a process called bantonage (check my spelling) in which, while the wine on the lees, you stir the wine regularly so the lees are stirred in well. For a wine like chardonnay, it is supposed to give the wine more depth; smooth it out some. It only works if you stir it regularly.

That being said, I would not leave it on the lees any longer than instructions say; I would just stir it well, if you want to do bantonage. When the SG has stopped dropping for 3 days in a row, go ahead and rack off lees, stabilize, degas, and clarify.

Since you are new to wine making, I'd try real hard to follow the instructions. Once you get a hang of it all, then start experimenting some. Those kit makers pretty much know what is best for their kits... they should, since they warranty them... that is if you follow the instructions.

And welcome to the forum.

Back