My wine is OK!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dojack

Junior
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone who helped me out. I had the mixed berry wine with the terrible sulphur smell. Well, Wade suggested I stir with copper tubing, I did that as well as splashed back and forth between buckets, and today I bottled it. The smell is great, the color is beautiful. Thank you so much for all your help!!! I am so proud of it. This is only my 2nd bottling, but I have much more coming along. Just started and am in it for only about maybe 4 months at most. I am SO addicted. My husband thinks I have lost it, but I love it. Can't wait for the next batch to be ready. Now I have a 3 gallon carboy that I have to figure out what to put in it. Everyone on this board is so helpful, I spend so much time reading the forums and feel as thought I've learned a lot, guess time will tell. Anyway, just wanted to thank everyone.

Congrats!!!

I also have a wine with a bit of sulpher smell. I guess I need to apply the same tecnique. I bought a peice of copper pipe, But when I sanatized it, it looked as if there was a coating or something on it that kind of ran (like a marker would)

Glad you are a member who got help here and fixed your concerns. Now HURRY UP and start another. Oh yea, ask more questions.
Cheers!

Goodfella take a piece of house electrical wire that hasn't been stripped about a foot or two long. Strip the insulation off it and it will be unoxidized. Sanitize that and use for the procedure. It has less surface area than pipe, but is much easier to keep clean and free of oxidation.

smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
Isn't it great to make a great wine of which you thought you had ruined?? I love these guys!!!

Congrats on the wine turning out. :)
This place is a treasure trove of advice and tips.

hey Rich - do you 'chuck' the copper wire into a electric drill and stir with that or how do you do it?

What's with the copper pipe?

Also, how about copper sulfite? and do you measure this for a 5/6 gallon batch?

rrawhide

A copper sulfate solution is definitely the safer way to go as there is no way to determine how much of the heavy metal copper is getting into the wine using a pipe or tube. My notes are not currently with me in regards to the amount to add and I don't want to state an inaccurate number here.

- Jim

Latest posts

Back