My New vaccum pump..

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hvac36

Reaction score
Well the wife want a new frig so I took the old compressor for the wine room.. Tested and works great now to pipe the room. Figure 4 tappings 1 for filtering 1 for degassing and 2 spares...

pump.jpg

Great! I don't know how big a vacuum such a setup can pull; I would be sure to put a vacuum gauge on it; it just might pull more of a vacuum than the carboy can stand.

Has anyone else used these for this purpose?

Seeing as that is a compressor you may end up pulling lubricating oil past the compression rings into the compression chamber. I hope I am wrong. Keep us posted. I am curious how long it will work.

RR

Edit: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106541. Read the Apr 01, 2003, 04:53 PM response.

Last edited:
From your forum.
Also see my username? :)
Sorry but working on domestic refrigerators we are not normally worried
about pressure we test to see if it will draw a vacuum. Its most important
characteristic is its ability to draw a vacuum. If there is no vacuum the
refrigerator is DEAD. It can still have pressure with a valve on the low
side gone. There is nothing in the refrigerant to lubricate. The concern we
have is whether the refrigerant will carry the oil with it . This became a
major sticking point for the subs for 12.

The major killer for a compressor in this use is the loss of oil out the
pressure side or the contamination of the oil with water so that it froths
and does not lubricate. When you get water or antifreeze in your cars
crankcase you shortly say good bye to the bearings. This is no different.
In addition the moisture can start the formation of acid which will eat the
motor windings which are in the same oil solution. If you do not pump
moisture through this pump at a high speed they will last a surprisingly
long time. The water is coming from the moisture in the air that is coming
in that leak in the bag.

WOW - Does this bring back memories for me !! I tried this setup about 8 years ago - these are the situations I ran into

- Alot of valves in order to control the vacuum and release of
- vacuum can and will go to atleast 29 inches
- vacuum gauge - inline
- alot of blow by in the exhaust - which will cause a haze in the area you are working in
- finding a lubricant that will not attract moisture in order to properly lubricate the pump
- when the pump gets cold it does not want to start-up (turn-on )
- having a vacuum resvouir to protect the pump from liquid

My wife finally threw it in the garbage after I left for work one day - because everytime I used it I would stink up the entire house.

WOW - Does this bring back memories for me !! I tried this setup about 8 years ago - these are the situations I ran into

- Alot of valves in order to control the vacuum and release of
- vacuum can and will go to atleast 29 inches
- vacuum gauge - inline
- alot of blow by in the exhaust - which will cause a haze in the area you are working in
- finding a lubricant that will not attract moisture in order to properly lubricate the pump
- when the pump gets cold it does not want to start-up (turn-on )
- having a vacuum resvouir to protect the pump from liquid

My wife finally threw it in the garbage after I left for work one day - because everytime I used it I would stink up the entire house.

And can we assume that "the rest is history" or the real reason you build the best vacuum setup most of us have and will ever see?

Being a Hvac tech I know a few trips to keep it alive and purring.. Plus vent tube will be vented outside with a long tube and a check valve to allow air out but not in a cheap moisture filter on each end ($1.39 each ) as for protecting the pump with a resovour thats easy I already have the tank.... :)

Good Luck Jim !
I am also a HVAC certified as well, The only thing I was trying to do is let you know of the problems that I ran into. I must of pulled out atleast 8 -12 compressors from old fridges to try and make it work as I was testing this.I actually cut one in half in order to find the proper oil level . I did realize that the overall unit was heavy and bulky compared to the latest design.

Latest posts

Back