WineXpert My first wine Kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cjk

Chris
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I started my first Wine Kit 12/27/14. It is a WE World Vinyard French Canernet Sauvignon. I followed the instructions exactly as written. I bottled after 2 months. It's now 3 months old.

It has a very fruity taste. It's seems pretty astringent. Also it seems very thin, or light. I realize it's very young. Can I expect over time for the fruit and the astringency to mellow out? Will age improve the mouthfeel?

I realize this Kit is average at best. I paid $75 from my LHBS. I didn't want to get anything too expensive for my first Kit. I am wondering if aging will help this kit along or is this what you get with an average priced kit?

Thank you all,

Chris

Welcome Chris, your wine will improve with age. Try it again at 6 months and it will taste completely different. It'll probably stay kind of thin because it's lower end but a great one to start with.
Mike

You pretty much nailed it. Making that style of kit will get you a light bodied product. The astringent taste may fade over time. Give it another 6 months and you will be surprised how it changes. I found they made significant strides about every 3 months for the first year. This style of kit will never be confused with the best wine you ever tasted. But it will be enjoyable.

Thank you Roger,

I look forward to see how it improves over the next 6 months. And yes it is enjoyable already because I made it! I really wish I got into this hobby earlier!

Thanks Agin,

Chris

Hi Chris,

You have good taste.
That's the exact same kit I chose for my initial foray in the winemaking world earlier this month.

Did you happen to track your fermentation temperature? I'm very interested in that aspect and curious what impact it might have.

Thanks!

Thank you Mike,

I aprreciate your feedback. I am looking forward to see how it changes. I didnt want to buy a high end Kit right away. I know myself and many on here have said their first kits never made it past a year.

I have two WE Eclipse Kits Clearing right now (Barolo and Pinot Noir). Im hoping my first kit will hold me off until I can get at least a year on both of those kits before I start drinking them.

Thanks Again Mike!

Hey Wineinmd,

I did track the Fermentation temp. I bought a Fermwrap and temp control unit on Amazon. My basement this winter stayed around 55-62. With the Fermwrap on my Primary and Carboy my avarage temp was between 74-76 (checked with a digital thermometer).

From everything Ive read between 70-75 is a good range for reds. Too low slows fermentation. Too high and you can get off flavors. Im sure the more experienced members can chime in with better information on fermentaton temps.

I do reccomend the fermwrap and temp control unit. Works great!!! Let me know how your Kits coming along. Ill do the same.

Cheers!

Chris

It should improve. It was bottled very early. Per the instructions, but young

Welcome to the hobby. The higher end kits (more $ and grape skins) will reward you in the end, but waiting 3 years for aging is hard. The cost in a recycled bottle is still under $5.00 and when people say I can't believe you made this it's priceless.

You live in a beautiful area of CT I have taken many trips to Lime Rock in the past.

The key to making kits, juice buckets, or grapes is to make double the bottles you need per year for 4 years straight then you can do just a years supply each year.

Thank you ehammonds. I agree I bottled too early. Admitted newbie. I will bulk age my current kits for at least 8 months. How often do you suggest racking over an 8 month period?

Chris

Thanks 2020steve,

I've been to Lime Rock a few times as well! Car racing... An even more expensive hobby then wine making lol!!!

Thanks for the advice. I'm trying to make 4 or 5 kits this year. Nobody told me how addictive this hobby is!

Chris

I need to pay more attention. My kit was the French Sauvignon Blanc.

Based on everything I've read, your fermentation temperature range should serve you well.

I do every three months or even sooner if too much sediment is dropping. Check SO2 levels, as roughly 1/4 teaspoon will likely need to be added at each racking. You'll get it! Enjoy

Latest posts

Back