My first born is leaving

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeC

Reaction score
Ok, so it's my first bottle of wine I'm giving away. It's to my parents for their anniversary.

They don't know I'm making wine, so when they come out tomorrow and get a bottle of "my" wine with the familyname on the labelit will be pretty special.

A little background-when I was growing up my paternal grandfather made wine in the cellar of the farmhouse. My dad and 2 uncles would help each fall. I remember 15 or so large wooden barrels filled with wine. For years after my grandfather died my dad had the wine press in the garage. I remember helping out as much as a 4 year old could (grandpa died when I was 6). Grandpa came to America in April of 1911 on the Carpathia-exactly one year before the Carpathia rescued the Titanic survivors. Grandma and the 3 oldest kids came over on the America a couple years later. I think grandpa brought his wine making skills from the old country.

Dad brought a barrel home one year and it sat in the basement of our house for what seemed like forever. I remember helping dad deliver produce to the local grocery stores (we were vegetable gardeners) and having several gallons of wine in the cab of the truck to pass out to the produce managers. Can't remember anyone turning the wine down....(grin).

I think they used concord grapes, but don't remember for sure (everyone and everything are gone now except for my dad). They always called it Italian (insert slang in place of Italian) Red and it had quite the reputation around the Italian community in Des Moines.

So being the first person to "resurrect" winemaking in the family should be pretty special to my dad. He's 80 and I'm sure he doesn't have all that much time left. I hope it brings back some good memories for him.

WineBottle.jpg

Mike thats a great story and some great heritage and memories of it that you have. think it's a very special thing your about to do for your father, and yes, he will be proud that you did this for him, and his father.

What a great gift.Edited by: jobe05

MikeC,

What a nice memory, let us know how the anniversary goes!!! He will be proud!!

Ramona

Awesome Mike, I wish I could see the expression on his face when he sees this.

That's wonderful, Mike! You can be sure your father will be deeply touched. Be sure to sit down with him and ask him all the wine questions you can think of! He is sure to be a tremendous resource for you.

I have fond memories helping my dad with a little wine making also. Not to mention the hours of dandelion picking. Or wild black raspberry picking knowing I'd never get to eat any
smiley2.gif

I gave my folks a bottle of my Pinot Chard that they opened last Christmas and now I have friends relatives and their neighbors clammering for more. I guess I'll have to start another batch soon.

Pete

Mike, wonderfull story, and great looking bottle of wine. I'm sure your Dad will be proud.
Dave

Loved the bottle, it looks so nice! I'm sure your Dad will be very proud of you, and bring back very fond memories of his past days! You should be proud!

Thanks for the great comments. Without all of you I would never have attempted it so the credit really belongs with all of you as well as George.

I wonder ifGeorge realizes in how many wonderful ways his business touches people?

I am sure he knows, his newsletters begin with the following:
The Wine Maker's Toy Store®<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
Bringing family and friends together...One sip at a time!

Latest posts

Back