Must I block air from the Must (see what I did there)?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anakeimai

Junior
Reaction score
At the end of the summer I intend to have another go at elderberry wine as I'm hoping for a bumper crop this year.

In the recipes I've looked at, a few suggest that once you've made the initial must, you should initially cover it - very closely to the top of the mixture to stop the air getting to it.

I have a 5 gallon drum which is where my potions usually start life, but typically I've never done this - I'd whack in the mixture, leave it a day as is, whack in the yeast and leave it to do its thing before transferring to a demijohn after a week or so.

Should I be sent to the back of the class?

I just use a cloth held in place by a bungee in my elderberry primaries, what they describe is more like for white wine making, whack it all in there and stir the whack out of it. WVMJ

One does need to stir daily too. A cloth to keep out bugs etc is easy to remove for daily stirring.

I went to a place called strapworks that makes custom straps and got some double d ring elastic straps made up for our 10 gal brutes, cheap and easy to use so its no hassle taking them on and off. WVMJ

Another place to look for straps to hold on your cloth is in Health & Beauty at Wal-Mart. Buy some of those large elastic straps used for hairdos - work great!

I usually just cover my smaller primary with a towel. It's heavy enough to seal out gremlins.

Jim I think you are talking about pony tail holders. The men most likely would not know what to look for or ask for. LOL!

Latest posts

Back