Muscadine Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
O'Fallon, MO - Just NorthWest of St. Louis, MO
I had my first bottle or three of muscadine wine this week. My wife and I took a quick vacation to Florida and of course stopping by wineries is always part of vacation.

We were in the Pensacola area, so we went to two of them, Chautauqua Vineyards near I10 and Sea Breeze near Panama City. We had a great time and really enjoyed the refreshingly subtle sweet tastes at Chautauqua. The lady who was running the tasting room at Sea Breeze may have had a stick embedded somewhere painful. We did not care for it as well.

Bottom line, the wines are sweeter than I normally care for, but very well balanced and tasty. We only bought a case of them. Everyone should try a muscadine at least once.

Last edited:
I agree cmason. living in south ga I,ve always enjoyed a good muscadine wine. However, I find that most local wineries make them too sweet. When they're a bit drier the flavor profile can really come through. Lucky for me the vines grow wild everywhere and I have already staked out a few areas that seem to look promising this year.

I agree, sweet muscadine is like a scourge on the south. But the problem is, is that everyone expects it to taste that way, thus it tends to be made that way... That and muscadine is so acidic something needs to be done to balance it out.

I expected them to be much sweeter than they were. I think that was part of the problem at the Sea Breeze winery we went to, they were. The ones at the other winery were much less sweet. The winemaker was not there and I didn't have my hydrometer, but I do plan to take some measurements at home to see how sweet they really are.

I really like a glass of muscadine but I like my muscadine, the commercial stuff is lighter in flavor and way too sweet.

First result. Tonight we drank a blush wine which was a blend of noble and some white muscadine. The backsweetened SG was 1.014. I didn't do any other measurements.

Have you had a all scuppernong, which is the white muscadine? We enjoying the white more than the red lately.

Have you had a all scuppernong, which is the white muscadine? We enjoying the white more than the red lately.

I have not had a scuppernong. At least I don't think I have. They did have a white muscadine, but they said it was from the Carlos variety and the red they used was from the Noble.

white muscadine is scuppernog and Carlos is one variety.

Over sweetening muscadine wine is a problem here in deep south Louisiana too. Most people are suprised when they drink mine because it is semi sweet.

Latest posts

Back