WineXpert Multiple Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enologo

Reaction score
Thinking of attempting to make wine for my sons wedding next year and was thinking of making multiple kits at once to get the volume I need and have it all age at the same time. Has anyone done this before? I thought I would make three kits at once using the brute that I picked up but haven't used as yet. Or should I stick with my 8 gal. fermenter and just do them in sequence?? Any thoughts and any advice is greatly appreciated.:?

Can't see any reason why chucking them all in one bucket would hurt...

How are you going to store them, in 3 carboys?

Enologo, I routinely make triple batches of kit wines, notably Pinot Grigio and Zinfandel in my 20 gallon fermenter. No problem in doing so. Good luck.

Do it in sequence. Serve the best first and the worst last... they'll never know. :D

make separate batches with different varietial kits that will blend afterwards. Purchase each a (Sangiovese)Brunello, Cabernet and Merlot kit and make a Bordeaux Blend; 4 gal CAB/2 gal Merlot along with a Super Tuscan Blend; 4 gal Sangiovese/1 gal Cab/1 gal Merlot. You would still have left 2 gals Sangiovese, 1 gal Ca, 3 gals Merlot to have as either straight varieties or make another 6 or 5 gal blend (probably only a 5 gal carboy if you don't like to top up with a lot of commercial wine). The possibilities are unlimited and plus it's yours/theirs own personal blend.

Enologo, in my response above I assumed that you were talking about making a triple batch of one variety. If you are making multiple varieties, you have a choice in separately fermenting and blending (or not) later as Bacci suggested or co-fermentation where you blend all the varietals in a large fermenter and co-ferment them. I have done blending both way and, frankly, I do not see a lot of difference. You may have a more discriminating palate than I. Some examples of co-fermentation that I have done was to mix Zinfandel and Muscat juice and then ferment, mix Sangiovese, Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon juice and then ferment and to mix Sangiovese and Cabernet Sauvignon (no Merlot) juice and ferment. I have separately fermented Zinfandel and Muscat and blended the finished wine and I have separately fermented Barolo and Brunello and blended the wine. As Bacci says, the possibilities are numerous. Good luck and let us know what you decide to do.

The intent is to make one type actually. The bride to be likes Pinot Noir and they want to give the wine as part of their favor along with a little Pasta and a little jar of sauce. I expect that I will batch the three kits together in the brute then after ferm. is complete transfer to three glass carboys for secondary then to better bottles unless I pick up some more carboys in the meantime (always searching). Then possibly into the Demijons for bulk aging ( have two right now need to pick up another, again the continuing search for a bargain). That's the plan thus far.I guess we'll see how it develops over the coming months. Another beautiful thing about this hobby time is on your side.:)

Latest posts

Back